Casey's Reviews > A Doll's House

A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

May 15, 07

bookshelves: adults

I certainly feel for Nora--she means well and yes, patriarchy sucks, but I found her such a challenging character to like. I didn't like her when she was a silly housewife, and I didn't like her when she gained independence. Actually, now that I think about it, the fact that I find her such a troubling character is pretty revealing. Obviously I can't stand her when she's a helpmeet, but I really didn't like her once she abandons her marriage (and as a result, her children). It seems I'm not as liberal as I like to think I am.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Doll's House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jake (new)

Jake Jakobson I agree that it was very difficult to not hate Nora. She constantly complained to the other characters and even once she gained independence, she still annoyed me. I think that she made the decision to leave her family without thinking it through very well.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura I agree. Nora is a frustratig character to comprehend. Shes liberal, though of course this is a feminist play, she seems to finally take hold of her life at the end and runs it the way she wants to. At the same time i do not agree with the actions she took to have her own life, i think it was horrible for her to basically ruin the lives of the childrens and husband. Over all this play was difficult to understand, but if you take in the way society was during that time period, this play makes alot of sense. in those days it was unspeakable for a women to actually leave her family for herself, that she was so taboo was an inspiration.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim i agree that Nora is a hard charcter to understand as she is alwasy complaining and often hard to understand. For most of the play i understood where she was coming from though, but i completely disagree with her decision to leave her husband and children