Lafcadio's Reviews > The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead

bookshelves: 850-905, classy, foyer, psyche, upper-arm, zack
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Emily Klokkevold
Recommended for: Ben
Read in January, 2008

**Ok, now I'm "finished" reading it... my conclusion at the bottom of this previous entry:

Not done reading it but so far...

I had high hopes for this book, after reading the king of Zombie-Lit, Max Brooks. I knew nobody could compare, but I was willing to give Kenemore a chance.

It started off strong, with the 24 habits of highly effective Zombies. The very first chapter had me chuckling aloud.

But then... call me petty, I found this:

"Don't count your chickens before they're hatched... or your zombies before they're fully reanimated. Listen up Mr. Mad-Scientist-Warlock Voodoo-Priest Guy. I'm talking to you. Zombies move at their own pace, and they reanimate when their good and ready. So just be patient and thankful for the corpses that do turn into zombies."

I'm sorry, does the "good and ready" belong to the zombies? Why, oh why is it so hard to get the correct form of the word their/they're/there in a professionally edited book?

So, by the time I found this example of poor editing, I was already unimpressed. This book is funny-ish, but it's really the same joke over and over again. Were this book utterly amazing, the editing alone might drop it down to 4 stars. Since it's not that great already, only time will tell how far down the scale it will slip.

** This whole book was written by a frat boy. Ok, maybe he's not actually a frat boy, but the easy, conversational tone in which he writes is funny for a few sentences, and then you just want him to shut up. The tipping point for me was "bruh," as in "Don't worry, though. Zombies have your back, bruh."

"Bro" would have been quite casual enough. I was really trying to make a good faith effort to make it all the way through the book, even overlooking bad editing. Bruh made me realize it was written by someone with whom I would never have an actual conversation.

One or two pages - funny. Two hundred and sixty-two pages - draining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zen of Zombie.