Mel's Reviews > Drowned Wednesday

Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix

F 50x66
Jul 20, 10

Read in March, 2012

The third book is better than the second.
Here Arthur must confront Lady Wednesday who is afflicted with insatiable hunger. Once a female denizen she has grown into a massive whale 126 miles long due to her eating. She needs to be that big in order for the book to go Pinocchio and sail a ship into her stomach. Sorry it's a submersible *wink* but it is sailed by the Piper's Rats who have become sentient. I actually found the Piper's rats interesting as they had their own armada and the sub captain reminded me of the captain from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This book has pirates, giant whales, sorcerers, rats, winged sharks, carp cultists (yes you read that correctly - they have hymns and everything) and a whole host of interesting minor characters.

I forgot to mention earlier that each book's main Trustee/Day is afflicted with one of the 7 deadly sins. I believe each one is dying according to the prescribed punishment as well but I would need to check that. So far we have:
Mister Monday - Sloth - thrown into pit of snakes
Grim Tuesday - Greed - pot of boiling oil (which in this case is called Nothing)
Drowned Wednesday - Gluttony - forced to eat rats and snakes

Which leaves: Envy, Lust, Pride, and Anger
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowned Wednesday.