Andrew Kubasek's Reviews > Wolves of the Calla

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: completed

This is, at this point, the best book in the "Dark Tower" series. There are still a lot of dry spells, especially when introducing new characters. Ultimately, though, there is a lot more action and a sense of progress towards the ka-tet's ultimate goal.

This is also the best book in the series (again, since the first book, at least) that creates a clear setting. Most of the book is spent inside one small town and King gives us a good sense of the mythology and culture of that town. We meet a nice cast of minor characters in the usual Stephen King detail who, surprisingly, return in important situations.

Plot-wise, the larger story arc moves forward a few steps (which is still more than the other books), but it is clear with Susannah's "complication" that the climax of the quest is approaching. Meanwhile, this book is also plotted pretty well as a stand-alone story. I wouldn't recommend jumping in to the middle of this series, but if one were to jump in, this book would be the best diving board.

I'm looking forward to taking a break from this series for a bit, but will return to Mid-World soon enough in hopes to see Roland the Gunslinger find the Dark Tower.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves of the Calla.