Purlewe's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, fiction, ya
Read in July, 2010

an interesting twist to Don Quixote. YA version with a kid getting C-J BSE. He travels to find a cure.. but did he? I found this a really good book. I thought the narration was WONDERFULLY done. I would say that for a YA book, if you are a big stickler for cursing.. then I don't recommend this book. All of the characters curse profusely. If you are a parent that will. not. tolerate. cursing. This book is not for you or your kids. But I really do recommend it.

eta: Now that I've had time to think about it I want to add that I did not enjoy the main character at first. He seemed.. too much of a person who just drifts thru life. But by the end of the book I liked him and was routing for him. I really, really liked the supporting characters. Dulcie was a really good balance for him. Gonzo was a perfect end of the spectrum, full of the crazy companion. Balder was my absolutely favorite. I loved the things he said and have been saying Boo-Ya in the original Norse. I think the reason for the love of the secondary and tertiary characters come from the narration. They each had their own very distinct voice, speech pacing, and quirks. I looked forward to hearing my favorites and each new person as they went on their travels.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.