Audrey Anne's Reviews > The End of Food

The End of Food by Paul       Roberts

Jul 20, 2010

liked it
Read from July 20 to 26, 2010

This book started out strong, but its focus kept broadening. This had the effect of dilluting my attention. It does contain some very important information and it does attempt to be comprehensive, but comes off dense and disorganized. About 3/4 of the way through I found, like other readers, I had to take it in short spurts of a few pages at a time. Also, I found a few arguments where my point of view departs from that of the author, so I can't take the book as a wholesale truth. For instance, I don't believe that vegetarianism is a healthy practice for the majority of humans, even though it is more sustainable for our planet. Like it or not, our earliest ancestors evolved to be healthiest (and with the advantage of bigger brains) because of a high meat diet. I did particularly enjoy the insights into the supermarket industry. If one is familiar with this subject matter, one can criticize the book and compare it to similar ones. If one has not encountered a knowledgeable account of the unsustainability of our food systems, it is essential reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Food.