Nicole's Reviews > Girl Parts

Girl Parts by John M. Cusick

Jul 24, 10

Read from July 20 to 23, 2010

So, I just finished reading John Cusick’s soon-to-be-released novel, Girl Parts. I’m torn. This book was unlike anything I’ve ever read before and I’m not sure where to start on this review, so bear with me in case I get a little rambly ~

Premise of the book: in the not so distant future, there is a breakdown of human interaction and teenagers develop some major dissociative issues. How to fix the problem? As an experimental behavioral solution, a Japanese company has manufactured hot female Companion cyberbots to help teenage boys unplug from their online lives and learn how to communicate in the real world. Remember Wall-E? Humans aren’t that bad yet but they’re getting there (apparently, teenage girls are too smart in the future to be taken in by hot male Cyberbots so who knows what their treatment is – electric shock therapy?).

The plot revolves around three main characters: David, the schmarmy big-man-on-campus playa; Charlie, the sullen loner who wishes he could be popular like David; and then there’s Rose, the beautiful Companion assigned to David who discovers that there’s more to life than living for a single person.

I struggled with the story. Maybe it’s because I’m just a girl and cannot fathom a bunch of horny adolescents wanting to “do it” with a robot chick (spoiler alert – Companion bots are missing their “girl parts” so most of the boys just ended up frustrated anyways). I enjoyed Rose’s development into something half robot, half human – I could imagine her becoming her own person and deciding things for herself. That part of it was very empowering. And she does have a sort of “no-disassemble-Number-5″ moment that makes you root for her.

David and Charlie however remained 2-dimensional and I didn’t feel much hope for them by the end of the story. They grew only marginally throughout the whole book and I don’t feel like they learned a valuable lesson or turned over a new leaf. One can only hope, but I felt like the end fell flat. And the few magical moments where the writing lived couldn’t quite make up for it.

All in all, very creative concept for the storyline and promising writing. This novel will definitely spark a lot of discussion in your next book club. If we could do halfs on the rating system, this book would get 3.5 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Parts.

07/20/2010 page 122
51.0% "I think I would be enjoying this more if I was a teenage boy"