Candy's Reviews > Solitary

Solitary by Travis Thrasher

Feb 25, 2012

Read from June 07, 2011 to February 25, 2012

I just finished “Solitary” by Travis Thrasher, and I have to tell you, I am very thankful that I waited and did not read this book when it was first released. Why? Because I would have had to wait months or even a year to read the second book, and I would have hated to be in suspense for that long!
Chris Buckley is a new kid in a new school, transplanted by way of his parents divorce into Solitary, North Carolina (which is where I feel like I live sometimes, by the way. I do live in small-town North Carolina.) Not only is he disconnected from the outside world and far away from all his old friends, he is unable to make new friends either. In fact, everyone seems downright odd, and it is more than just being the new kid. Finally he is able to befriend Jocelyn, the most beautiful girl he has ever seen, but even that is odd. Sometimes she totally ignores him, while at others she seems to want him as a friend. Because the story is told from Chris' perspective, as I read I was left as confused as he was. Things get really odd when the threats start, and slowly we begin to get some answers. However, with the answers come more questions.
One reason I may have put off starting the series for this long is that normally I don’t read a whole lot of YA fiction. It usually feels very immature and quite frankly I am sick to death of the whole girl falling in love with the vampire kind of story. I guess I also feel a little embarrassed being an adult and reading YA fiction. I do love a good supernatural thriller though, and this series seems to be shaping up to be just that. Never did I feel like the author was trying to simplify his writing for a younger audience. Travis did a wonderful job of showing—and letting me remember—how it feels to be a teenager.
Another reason that I am pretty sure kept me from reading this series sooner above all other reasons is the fact that it is written in first person, present tense point of view. For some reason I have a hard time getting into and keeping up with this style of writing. However, Travis is such a talented writer that I was pulled right into the story and never had any problem keeping with it. In fact, I feel that in this story that point of view was not only the best, but was necessary. There were times that I just took a step back and thought that this author really thought of everything. The way he described, through Chris' own thoughts and actions, the feelings he experienced, the details of everything around him, even the things he didn't understand, all just put me in awe. I felt as though I was there going through everything these characters were. I guess what I am trying to say is that this author is so good at telling a story, it looks effortless and if you aren't careful you will miss all the work that had to go into this much detail. I have read several of Travis Thrasher's books, and I have to say that so far I think the Solitary tales are the best ones yet. Five stars from me, and now I must start book two!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solitary.

02/23/2012 page 48