Jennie's Reviews > Persephone the Phony

Persephone the Phony by Joan Holub

Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: gr-first-reads, i-own, fiction, middle-grade-books, read-in-2010, read-in-august
Read on August 19, 2010

I was excited when I won this via Goodreads but now that I have read it, I am ecstatic that I won this book! I loved everything about it, really I’m not sure I could find something I didn’t love. The spin on the Greek Gods and Goddesses is unique, creative and well-played in this novel. Persephone’s struggles are those of the target audience, ages 8 through 12, and range from peer pressure, discovering and exercising individuality, independence versus parental involvement, seeing past first impressions and handling emotions. The dialogue and interactions between Hades and Persephone seems plausible for their ages. Their friendship starts the seeds that grow into looking past first impressions and immediate classifications. Persephone sees past his name and home in the Underworld and finds his true nature of a caring and shy godboy. In attempting to get her Mother and friends to look past their initial impression of Hades, Persephone has to decide for herself if she believes the hype. My favorite aspect of the whole story is the silver winged sandals the godboys and goddesses wear to travel at top speeds. They were such a creative twist on the traditional toga’s and sandals.

I plan to buy the entire series for my daughter, Samantha, to have in her library.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persephone the Phony.

message 1: by Elisha (new)

Elisha (lishie) We won Shampoodle by Joan Holub & Gabriel LOVES it!