Kate's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

Jul 20, 2010

bookshelves: music, favorites
Recommended to Kate by: karen
Read from February 21 to March 07, 2011 — I own a copy

"Time is a goon." Is the central theme of this book and it couldn't of come at a better time.

This past Tuesday I turned 30 and looking back over these years, I could see how time changed me, how I changed as a person, and how the future is wide open and ready to be written.

This book is kind of like that in the fact that it centers on the two major characters of Sasha and Benny. Each chapter is narrated by a person who knows one or both of the characters. You get the story from his/her perspective on how they know Benny and/or Sasha, but at the same time you get the past, present and future story of the narrating character, as well.

This book is smart, funny, and sometimes heartbreaking, but definitely worth the read if you're interested in time, music, and characters that will tug on your heartstrings long after you've put this book back on the shelf.

This is one book I'm really glad I own and will re-visit often. Many thanks to Karen Brisette for recommending this book and telling me that I shouldn't wait for the paperback version to come out before I picked it up to read. For once I'm really glad I listened to you.

Quotes Kate Liked

Jennifer Egan
“Sure, everything is ending," Jules said, "but not yet.”
Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad

02/25/2011 page 30
10.0% "The problem was digitization, which sucked the life out of everything that got smeared through its microscopic mesh."
02/28/2011 page 100
35.0% "Time is a goon."
03/02/2011 page 157
55.0% "I'm sorry and I believe in you and I'll always be near you, protecting you, and I will never leave you, I'll be curled around your heart for the rest of your life..."
03/04/2011 page 176
61.0% "I will sit and think about art. But he found, to his despair, that often he couldn't think about art. He thought of nothing at all."
03/04/2011 page 252
88.0% "The pause makes you think the song will end. And then the song isn't really over, so you're relived. But then the song does actually end, because every song ends, obviously, and THAT. TIME. THE. END. IS. FOR. REAL."
01/31/2016 marked as: read

karen hooray!!

message 2: by s.penkevich (new) - added it

s.penkevich Hmmm, I keep debating on reading this. You sold it well however, so perhaps I'll give it a run.

Kate I totally think you should check it out, as you never know until you try it :)