Nancy Chaffin's Reviews > Gold Dust

Gold Dust by Chris Lynch

F_50x66
Jul 20, 10

Read in July, 2010

Napoleon Charlie Ellis moved from Dominca to Boston with his father and formed an unlikely friendship with baseball fanatic, Richard Riley Moncreif. Napoleon was very different from everyone and he developed a solid chip on his shoulder as he faced prejudice and racism with his peers. Richard was convinced that the answer to all of the problems of the universe was baseball. After seeing Napoleon’s athletic ability, Richard dreamed that, together, they would become the next “Gold Dust Twins.” They played every day. Unfortunately Richard’s dream was not Napoleon’s dream and, as Napoleon’s talents and dreams were revealed, so was the truth of their friendship.

I really enjoyed this book. I think it correctly portrays the gulf that can exist between people of different races, cultures, and talents. The story provides a model to measure the relationships in our lives. Are we willing to explore another person's passions? Can we expand our own vision to include experiences and life view's that are unique from our own? Will we?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gold Dust.