Suzanne Moore's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: nominations-to-sort, best-covers-2010, summer-challenge-picks, 1001-2012
Read from June 26 to July 06, 2011

“Time is a goon!” This story chronicles the current and past lives of Bennie, a record producer and his assistant Sasha. Woven into the snapshots of various events are the people they knew and were influenced by. Musicians and music are analyzed by the eclectic characters. Their experiences send the reader on a glorious trip through sounds of classic rock as well as introduces new artists that may be fictional, but represent the talent swirling on airwaves today. The “goon squad” I think gives reference to the effects of time (quoted as something not to be pushed around by) ... the goon won in some cases, in others they were able to shine.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Jennifer Egan
“There's a fine line between thinking about somebody and thinking about not thinking about somebody, but I have the patience and the self-control to walk that line for hours - days, if I have to.”
Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad