Courtney's Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, ghosts, misc-supernatural, series, teen-fiction, werewolves-shape-shifters
Read from July 19 to 23, 2010

Not a bad addition to the contemporary supernatural trend that's been sweeping young adult fiction over the past few years. This one was refreshingly free of romance, which I really appreciated, since I'm sick to death of supernatural love stories. It also had a sense of humor and (mostly) believable characters. I felt as though this book could have been paced better; there were parts of the book where I began to lost interest. It seemed a little on the long side, as though the plot could have been streamlined to aid the narrative, particularly since this is part of a series. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the real "meat" of the story is yet to come in future installments of the series. So many plot points are introduced, but cannot be adequately addressed without making the book even longer. I have this thing about first books in series; I feel like they should be able to stand on their own while still making the reader want to find out more. Later installments can handle the cliff-hanger endings and such. This book simply felt like an extra-long prologue to a fairly promising series. Time will tell whether I shall finish the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.