Johan's Reviews > The God Delusion

M_50x66
Aug 13, 10

bookshelves: skepticism, atheism
Read from July 29 to August 13, 2010

I was in doubt whether to read this book or not. I don’t like religious fundamentalists, so would I like a book by an atheist fundamentalist any better?

His arguments against religion, his appeal for a secular society and atheism, … are just brilliant. The way he picks the arguments in favor of a religion and the stories in holy books apart are eye openers and even hilarious on occasion. It will provide a lot of ammo next time you find yourself in a discussion on religion.

Richard Dawkins is a bit too fanatical to my liking in his atheism. This is probably why he got his nickname Darwin’s Rotweiller instead of just being called a Darwinist. The content is very good, but the tone was too aggressive. He might end up only preaching to the choir. There is humor in the book which made me laugh, but why doesn’t he use it more.

This book proved to be a slow read. I didn’t expect a page-turner, but I also didn’t expect to have to work my way through it. It’s not like the topic is difficult. Was the problem mine — a lack of concentration? Is it the author’s writing style? Is it the Dutch translation?

So, to those of you who have read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, either in Dutch or in English, was it a slow read, did you have to work your way through it, or was it a page-turner?

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is definitely a book that I am going to read again, but next time in English. The content is great, but I didn’t like his style that much. I did put his other books on my to read list.

See my blog for more extensive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.

07/29/2010 page 16
4.0% "Why does he compare skeptics/atheists with cats? I'm a dog person. ;)" 3 comments