Jen's Reviews > Personal Effects: Sword of Blood

Personal Effects by J.C. Hutchins

Aug 01, 10

bookshelves: podcast, horror, mystery, read-in-2010
Read from July 19 to August 01, 2010

This podiobook is 8 chapters of Personal Effects, and two preview chapters of Dark Arts (encompassing chapters 1-4 of the book). I'd say this book has done its job in making me interested in purchasing Dark Arts and reading more. It'll be fun to be able to get online and research the mystery myself, I think!

Personal Effects was a great book to listen to. J.C. Hutchins is an awesome reader, and when he gets into his "creepy" voices, I can feel shivers going down my spine. In fact one thing keeping me from picking up Dark Arts right away is the fact that there doesn't seem to be an audiobook version of it (though if he wasn't reading the book, I wouldn't buy the audiobook version anyhow).

The story itself pulled me in pretty quickly. It had a good bit of mystery with a bit of maybe-fantasy mixed in. I liked how the fantasy elements weren't ever really confirmed or disproved by Zach, leaving readers to decide whether people were full of BS/insane, or if there really were mystical things happening.

Since Dark Arts starts the week after the events that take place in Personal Effects, I definitely recommend that anyone wanting to read Dark Arts listen to this book first.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Effects.

07/23/2010 page 2
20.0% "I listened to two chapters and didn't realize the story was ongoing. Will have to re-listen before I move on, I think."
07/30/2010 page 4
40.0% "I actually remember the story pretty well so I went ahead and listened to chapter 3. it's a pretty short book so I figure I'll finish it before doing book 3 of secret World Chronicle."