Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > The Rise of Renegade X

The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea M. Campbell

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in August, 2010

I would probably give this book a 3.5 if I could. If I could describe this book in one word I would probably say it was funny. It almost felt like a parody sometimes, yet it was also heartwarming and earnest. Not exactly the typical descriptors one would use to describe a story about a guy stuck between being a superhero and a supervillain. Especially not one where that guy talks about sex a lot. But Chelsea Campbell has crafted a very interesting story here. First of all, it feels extremely unique and refreshing. I haven't read anything like this, probably partially because I don't typically read books with a male protagonist or books involving superheroes... but also, because I do think it's a fresh topic, especially in the way Campbell has written it. I felt like the ending came up a bit suddenly, and I wish there had been more development with the different characters, but overall it was quite enjoyable. Damien's change of heart at the end seemed a bit sudden, although I guess you could take it that he's a bit of an unreliable narrator, claiming all along to want to be a villain, while thinking heroic thoughts and doing heroic deeds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Renegade X.