Beccie's Reviews > The Importance of Being Earnest

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Jul 19, 10

I own a copy, read count: 4

Oh how I love this play!! When I want a funny, quick, great read - this is what I pick up. I love everything that comes out of Lady Bracknell's mouth - and Algy's - and Gwendolen's - and Cecily's... Some of my favorite quotes:
"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte."

"Really, if the lower orders don't set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them?"

"The amount of women in London who flirt with their own husbands is perfectly scandalous. It looks so bad. It is simply washing one's clean linen in public."

"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."

"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune...to lose both seems like carelessness."

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his."

"Few parents nowadays pay any regard to what their children say to them. The old-fashioned respect for the young is fast dying out."

And those are just in Act 1. Don't even get me started on Act 4! Love it!! Now if only I could find my copy of the movie I would totally watch that too, because seeing Dame Judi Dench as Lady Bracknell and Rupert Everett as Algernon is hilarious. Not to mention Colin Firth as Jack.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Importance of Being Earnest.

Quotes Beccie Liked

Oscar Wilde
“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does, and that is his.”
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Oscar Wilde
“I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever.”
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest