Jonathan's Reviews > The Light of Other Days

The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke

Jul 19, 2010

Read from July 19 to 22, 2010

This book started out with a prologue that seemed utterly amazing and anticipated a deep and philosophical story about the Universe and time. A received many of these things, but not as overwhelmingly as I had hoped.

To begin, this book created far too many trivial and irrelevant social and relationship matters that most (or I assume most) Arthur C. Clarke fans do not care so much about. There was, in my opinion, too much dialogue and chances for it to become subjective, decreasing the possibility of this book being very awe-inspiring.

What I did like about this book was the profound use of science to prove concepts and hypotheticals true. The Worm-cams created a plane of exisistence for Arthur C Clarke, like usual, to provide ideas of transcendence, and eventually an utter coalescence of mankind in a immaculate collectivism. That said, the scenes could have been created as more vivid and metaphysical, including some of which ended far too early and abruptly. The last few chapters I found exceptionally substantial, as two brothers uncover the secrets of life and the past, finishing this grand overture of a book. A book which, although quite good, seems slightly mediocre in comparison to classic Arthur C Clarke.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light of Other Days.

07/19/2010 page 70