Chanelle's Reviews > Hemlock

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: amazing-cover
Read from April 13 to 16, 2012

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!! THIS is a werewolf novel.

I've been quite disappointed with werewolf books recently. I haven't found a werewolf book I've fallen in love with. The closest was The Dark Divine. But...that has all changed. Now I have a book I am in loooove with. And it's called Hemlock.

Why? There is SO MUCH action in this novel that you are never bored. The pacing is great. The scenes are fantastically described, filled with action, tense and just awesome. There was a romance to make your heart stop, and two best (hot) friends who would do anything for a girl who tried not to need saving.

I don't really know how to coherently express how much I loved this book. Mac (reminds me of Mac and Cheese but is short for Mackenzie) lives with her young cousin after being abandoned by both parents are different times. She has a part time job, goes to school, is responsible and brave and naive. But very determined and very righteous - in a good way. Also clumsy (she sprawls all over the place, this girl!) and a bit slow on the take. There were four of them. Her, Kyle, Jason and Amy. Amy and Jason dated. Amy also is killed by a werewolf.

There's a clear 'whodunnit' type feel to the book as Mac tries to figure out who the werewolf is that killed her best friend. But unlike other books, her motivations for finding answers isn't for self peace, it's to save Jason and Kyle - both of which are broken, one of which has a huge secret and the other who is about to make a huge mistake. If Mac can find out who killed Amy, the werewolf trackers will leave town. Right?

I have to admit, when they found out who killed Amy, I WAS surprised. I don't think enough sprinkles of evidence were put throughout the book, and I found myself with a 'huh? Did they?' type reaction when Mac is starting to understand the motivations behind the killer. But that was probably because I was so wrapped up in the story, the love triangle, the secrets and action that I probably missed it.

I loved, loved, loved the scenes with Amy. Mac's dreams on Amy and how creepy and vivid they were. I could see it all playing out in front of me like a movie. And the werewolf transformations were great too. I am desperate for the sequel. Desperate.

And what did I tell you? 2012 debuts are seriously stepping up the game, people!! 5 stars for definite. People interested in a supernatural thriller, with just enough romance will love this.

PS, if Mac doesn't want Jason - I'll have him.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hemlock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlin (new) - added it

Kaitlin Ward Jealous! I'm excited for this one to come out.

Chanelle It's SOOO good so far. :D