Krista the Bald Avenger's Reviews > Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker

Dracula, My Love by Syrie James

Aug 24, 10

bookshelves: 2010, romance-erotica-adults-only, thriller-mysteries-horror, reviewed, first-reads, scifi-paranormal, 5-stars
Recommended to Krista the Bald Avenger by: First Reads Giveaway
Recommended for: YA, Paranormal/Vampire fans
Read from July 26 to August 24, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Buffy. Twilight. True Blood.

It seems you can't flip a channel, go to the movies, or browse a bookstore without bumping into something involving vampires. They owe their start to the eternal classic (no pun intended), Dracula.

In Syrie James' take, Dracula My Love, she has studied various versions of the vampire mythos, including Bram Stoker's original, and compiled it into a unique journal, that of Mina Harker. In it, Mina tells the true story of her interactions and affair with Count Dracula.

I have not read Stoker's version, though I did watch "Bram Stoker's Dracula" during a break from reading James' novel. I think she did a brilliant job of reinventing the wheel, so to speak. While at times it did lean towards being overly romantic (and with the latest trend of fangbangers, who can blame her?) I found it thrilling and would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good paranormal/vampire novel. It definitely makes me want to read the original.

Due to some slight eroticism I would recommend this novel for grades 9 and up. There is no foul language, and while the subject matter does involve vampires/vampirism, it is not too violent in my opinion.

Kudos to James'--not only am I interested in her previous work, I look forward to her works to come.

*This review comes from a free copy of the book; I was not paid in any other fashion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula, My Love.

07/28/2010 page 66
17.0% "easy read--very interesting, even though I've not read Dracula."
07/31/2010 page 108
24.0% "Really getting into this--so very good!!! Watched part of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" tonight as well. My daughter is looking forward to reading this next."
08/17/2010 page 203
44.0% "love this book, sure to be a classic in its own right!"

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Renee That book sounds really interesting! Let me know if its any good.

Krista the Bald Avenger I will be sure to post a full review when I'm done :)

Krista the Bald Avenger The page count on this is wrong, trying to edit it--there are 457 pages.

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole I saw this at Books a million last nite and almost bought it, but my husband is complaining that my book buying has gotten out of control as of late,LOL. Can't wait to read your review!!

Krista the Bald Avenger check out the bookswap here on GoodReads or used on amazon--I can usually get a book for around $4 that way ;)

Thanks for the sweet words! (and welcome to the book addicts club LOL)

Michelle I'm just starting this now :) Have you read Dracula in Love by Karen Essex? It was very good, seems very similar. It will be interesting to compare the two!

Michelle Also, you should really read the original!! LOL

Krista the Bald Avenger I have Dracula in Love on my wishlist ;) And yes, I have the giant annotated original which I'll get to...eventually LOL

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!!

Michelle Dracula in Love is far, far better!