Kathy V's Reviews > Getting the Girl

Getting the Girl by Markus Zusak

F_50x66
Jul 19, 10

Read in July, 2010

Over the weekend, I read Getting the Girl by Markus Zuzak. His most well-known book is The Book Thief, an amazing story set during the Holocaust. I have also read his book, The Messenger. Mr. Zuzak is an Australian writer, and his work is definitely for a mature reader. I would characterize his writing style as unusual, with a fairly abstract approach to presenting the thoughts, feelings, and personalities of his characters. Because Getting the Girl is set in Australia, there are some language differences, particularly with slang (”bloody,” “mate,” “bastard,” etc.). Also, the weather is backwards from us, e.g. it’s cold in August. Takes some getting used to! But Markus Zuzak is brilliant in how he tells us the story of Cameron, a teenage boy trying to find his way in the wake of two older brothers – one successful and athletic and the other charming and handsome. Cameron is also trying to figure out what love is all about, and in the process he falls head-over-heels for one of his brother’s girlfriends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting the Girl.