Drew's Reviews > iPad: The Missing Manual

iPad by J.D. Biersdorfer

619011
Jul 19, 10

Read in July, 2010

I downloaded iPad: The Missing Manual and read it on my iPad (in iBooks). This gave me the opportunity to switch out of iBooks and quickly test some of the things that are mentioned in the book.

Overall, the book is well written and has a nice layout. It is very self-explanatory and has plenty of illustrations to help the reader see what things should look like on the iPad screen.

While the manual would be very useful to someone who just purchased the iPad and is just getting up to speed on how set it up and use the different functions, there are very few things that someone who has had the iPad for a couple of months or more would find very useful (although I did find a few tips and tricks that I didn't know about).

The section on iBooks was ok, but it left out some things, such as- when you download a free book with a generic cover, there is a way to change the cover, just like you can do with music.

There was quite a lot dealing with iTunes, but unless you've never used an iPod or iPhone before, this was information that seemed to be repetative of other "Missing Manuals."

Although I normally like the "Missing Manual" series, this book didn't help me much (if I had to pay full price, what new things I did learn wouldn't be worth the price I'd paid). This book should definitely be aimed at those who are brand new to the iPad and/or iTunes, but not toward those who have already had the iPad for a couple of months.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read iPad.