Annmarie's Reviews > Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt

Year of the Hyenas by Brad Geagley

1964916
Jul 19, 10

bookshelves: egypt, historical, mystery

This is a historical mystery set in Egypt at the time of Ramses III. Features a pretty classic gumshoe character, the ladies like him and he's a troubled yet standup guy, determined to get to the bottom of the murder of a minor priestess though powerful forces around him don't seem to want that.
Some problematic bits about strong women, and the detective's apparent alcoholism. Not sure if I'm on board with the author's treatment of both. But the interesting Egyptian historical aspects and the fast moving storyline mean I'll probably check out the second in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of the Hyenas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad Geagley Annmarie,
Thanks for such kind words about my book. Yes, this is a story about strong women – women who were capable of assassinating Egypt’s last powerful Pharaoh. In fact, women are behind every plot machination. But I’ve always loved those kinds of women – Regina in “The Little Foxes” and Cleopatra in J.L. Mankiewicz’ eponymous film. I’ve always been fascinated to see how women of ambition and intelligence struggle in male-dominated societies; and sometimes they must behave badly to get what they want. For me, that’s when it gets REALLY interesting!

Best,
Brad
Follow me on Twitter, @BradGeagley and watch for my new noir thriller, The Stand In

Annmarie Thanks for the comment, Brad! I need to pick up the second in the series and find out what happens. And to look for your new one!