Maile's Reviews > Of Bees and Mist

Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan

Jul 22, 10

Read from July 18 to 22, 2010

This is one of those books I grabbed on a whim. The story follows two families in a town where magic is a reality. Spirits have a presence, curses and spells are all too real and the impossible is possible. One thing that I appreciated is that with a strong a role as the magic plays, little explanation is given to justify the magic. This town has magic: it's a simple fact.

And yet, one could take the magic away and still have the same strong, touching story. The magic gives this story a sense of whimsy, turns the story into a folktale, perfect for a small town who believes in presence of spirits, witchcraft and the like.

Setiawan uses strong imagery and paints a vivid picture. There's an Asian feel to this work but you're not beat over the head with it. Rather it's something that can be seen in the flowers mentioned, the food that is eaten.

If I have a complaint it's simply that I wanted more of other characters. I felt like I didn't get a chance to truly know Daniel, even though I felt all of his actions were in character. Malin fascinated me and I wanted more from her, though I understand why her role was more minimized than I would have liked. And what of Hannah?

When the biggest issue that the author has is I want more from his characters, then I believe he has done something right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Bees and Mist.

07/20/2010 page 160