Kim's Reviews > The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Aug 22, 10

Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Just starting to read this book that I have heard so much about!

This book is very hard to put down...I am really enjoying it, though it is not typically the style of book I read. I don't want it to end!! I am about half way through right now & sweet Livinia has a spot in my heart.

I just finished this book last night right before midnight. I read over half of the book yesterday alone. I was so wrapped up in the story lines of all of the characters...Livinia, Belle, Mama Mae, Papa, Sukey, Miss Martha, Will Stephens...

I guess I never really stopped to think about how life was on a day to day basis living in the south before. After reading "The Help", I had a little more insight, but this really opened my eyes. Sure, I studied history in high school, but this was much more in depth.

The story is set beginning in 1791 on a tobacco plantation in Virginia. This book gives an up close & personal view of what life was like on both sides of the fence. I really felt for the slaves and the way they were treated and then when Livinia marries Marshall and ends up basically "trapped". Seeing her watch him disrespect her and realizing there is nothing she could do about it. Watching her watch her "family" suffer at the hands of Rankin and Marshall...so, so sad.

I highly recommend this book. Be prepared to not want to put it down!The Kitchen House
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen House.