Tiny Pants's Reviews > Sweet Deceit

1381942
Aug 24, 10

bookshelves: fiction, series, young-adult
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy

Okay, wow. I was a bit worried about this series, as as of the last book (Perfect Mistake), the prognosis for this series wasn't looking so good. Frustrating plot inching forward at a snail's pace? Check. Increasing difficulty suspending disbelief at the ridiculousness of fake private school attended by characters? Check. Diminishing paper quality and series growing shorter with each novel? Check and check.

This one is disappointingly on the skinny side, but don't be worried: It's most definitely not the final entry in this series, and the Ariana we all know and love is back in a big way. We spend wayyy less time getting bogged down in one-dimensional secondary (and tertiary!) characters no one is every going to be able to keep straight and way more time with a kick-ass plot that'll keep you turning the pages. Yes, there's still a lot of time spent on arcane details of their absurd school's rituals, but they manage to make it not only relevant to the plot but also genuinely entertaining.

I read this one cover-to-cover on a plane ride, and though goodness knows I don't have the easiest time flying, this made the hours zoom by. I didn't even mind that I kept having to scrunch over further and further in my seat so that my fellow passengers wouldn't notice that a) I'm a nearly 30-year-old woman reading a teen novel and b) that I had my jaw dropped open in an "OMG!" expression for the final 50 pages or so, during which I actually had to keep flipping back and re-reading passages because they were just too darn juicy. I thought I was going to give up on this series, but now I can't wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Deceit.