Trin's Reviews > Cock & Bull

Cock & Bull by Will Self

Jan 15, 08

bookshelves: fiction, queerlit, english-lit, genderfuck
Read in December, 2007

Will Self really needs to shut up about vaginas. If I have to read another highly-pretentious, “literary”-crude, half-lustful and half-petrified description of the female genitalia—of which this book contains, oh, dozens—I may have to do something…unladylike. I mean, bloody hell! It’s a vagina. Get over it.

This book intrigued me as all (all? There is so little. Sigh) published genderfuck intrigues me. It’s broken into two parts: the first involving a woman who grows a penis, the second involving a man who grows a vagina. The second is okay—I don’t think it actually says anything interesting about gender, but bits of it are sort of weirdly hot, if you like that sort of thing. (And I do, okay? Leave me alone. *g*) The first, however…ew. EW. Apparently, a woman who grows a cock will immediately rape her husband to death. And then rape random strangers on trains. Lovely! I’m not really sure what this is supposed to be saying about gender, either. Or about people. Well, except that Will Self apparently hates everybody.

This is one of those books that makes me despair of “literary fiction.” It also made me want to take a long, thorough shower.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cock & Bull.