Ogreart Art's Reviews > Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1

Liars for Jesus by Chris Rodda

Feb 19, 15

bookshelves: nonfiction, ebook
Read in July, 2010

Although I hate the title of this book, I love the content. There has been a concerted effort recently to rewrite American history. Many "historians" from the religious right have been expending a lot of time and energy trying to falsely "prove" that the Founding Fathers were overwhelmingly devout Christians who planned for this to be a Christian nation. To do so they use selected quotes (out of context), misquotes, and outright lies to make this seem true.

Rocca in her book explodes these lies. She has meticulously assembled the lies, then even more meticulously (sometimes to the point of overkill) provides the quotes in context. The sheer amount of research required for this is mindboggling. Rocca makes sure there are no selected quotes here. And, at her website she provides links to copies of the documents themselves.

I love American history. I have hated seeing it twisted. These liars are using Jesus and Christianity in a ploy to gain power. In my mind this has nothing to do with Jesus. That's why I hate the title. The clarity of the content is why I love the book itself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liars for Jesus.

message 1: by victor (new)

victor harris Nice review. I was wondering about this book.