Annabelle Marie Veronica's Reviews > Illusions

Illusions by Aprilynne Pike

UPDATE:

*****WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS*****

I read it! And, honestly, while I'd normally rate it probably a three or a four, I'm giving it a five because of the lovely, wonderful, perfect romance between Laurel and Tamani. Finally! Pages 233-236 and 315-318 are my FAVORITES. :)

Honestly, I didn't like Yuki at all. She annoyed almost to death. Could. Not. Stand. Her. Clearly, she had some serious issues, and throughout the book, I could not bring myself to like her. At all. I really tried. But I couldn't.

I loved loved loved having some of the chapters told from Tam's view!!! It also makes me feel more optimistic that he'll be the one Laurel chooses, because how could she not? He loves her so much, and she's sooooo lucky to have that. Besides, why would Pike feature chapters from his P.O.V. if he's not an important character? Soooo hot. :)

What a cliffhanger ending! Not cool at all! But I did like that it ended with Tam's P.O.V. I think I'm even more in love with him than before, if that's possible. ;)

-------------------------------

I cannot wait for this book to come out! I am so, so excited. After the second book though, both David and Chelsea make me nervous. Can they be trusted? Also, who can wait to see if Laurel will pick Tamani? That's actually the most exciting part…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusions.

Quotes Annabelle Marie Veronica Liked

Aprilynne Pike
“Aww, come on. I don't bite...hard.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Are you glad to see me?”

Aprilynne Pike
“He'd been back for about two weeks, and everything in Laurel's life had been thrown into Chaos. Sexy, sexy chaos.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Tamani has generously agreed to donate his body to my research."

The words were out of Laurel's mouth before she realized how bad they sounded.

"I mean he's helping me.”

Aprilynne Pike
Someday , Tamani told himself. Someday it'll be me.

Aprilynne Pike
“Is he really in love with you?" Chelsea asked after a long, silent moment.

"Yes," Laurel admitted, looking up at Chelsea but leaving her head against the wheel.

Chelsea raised her eyebrows. "Well. Good luck with that.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Human locks? Please," Tamani said. "May as well leave the door open.”

Aprilynne Pike
“I closed my eyes," he repeated after a few shallow breahts, "and imagined she was you.”

Aprilynne Pike
“When in doubt, head under the bed," Tamani said with a grin.”

Aprilynne Pike
“One way or another, I'll watch her from a distance, silently and wihtout her knowledge, if that's what it takes. And no matter how long you live--I'll be around when you're gone. I get to spend my entire life either with Laurel, or watching over her while she's with someone else. Bliss or torture--there's really no middle ground.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Thank you for the exquisite comfort of your kitchen floor.”

Aprilynne Pike
“I just want to kiss you." He slid his hand up her neck, cupping the side of her face. "Do you want to kiss me?”

Aprilynne Pike
“...Sometimes," he said, bringing a figertip to her bottom lip, "A kiss is simply a kiss.”

Aprilynne Pike
“I'm not asking for forever," Tamani said. "Yet. I'm just asking for a moment.”

Aprilynne Pike
“...I'm the last person to tell you that you need a guy to make you happy. But if you're not moving on because you're afraid you'll hurt David, maybe you need to remember that you're hurting Tamani by not moving on, and you might be hurting David by not letting him move on. If--and I'm not saying you should choose him, but if--you really love Tamani, and you keep putting him off because of David, by the time you're finally ready to be with him, you may find that he's moved on. That's all I'm going to say...”

Aprilynne Pike
“Men," Chelsea muttered derisively...”

Aprilynne Pike
“But love is something that has to be as selfish as it is unselfish. You can't make yourself love someone because you feel like you should. Just wanting to love someone isn't enough.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Whether or not there was room in her life for Tamani, Laurel knew that there was precious little room in Tamani's life for anything but Laurel. He lived to protect her, and he'd never failed her. Annoyed her, frustrated her, hurt her, maddened her - but never once failed her.”

Aprilynne Pike
“All I'm saying is that you shouldn't stay with him for the wrong reasons, even if they are noble ones. No one owes it to someone else to be their girlfriend. It's a choice you remake every day.”

Aprilynne Pike
“No - the light in Tamani's eyes was much more than a reflection. It was the fire that melted her anger and devestated her resolve, every single time she saw it.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Time was like that, though - racing forward when she wanted it to slow down, then crawling to a stop when she could least bear it.”
tags: time

Aprilynne Pike
“I wouldn't go that far mate," he said. "I still don't like you.”

“So why are you here?"
He lifted his hands and made as if to lay them on her arms, but just before they touched he stopped and let them fall. Then, simply, as though it were all the explanation she could ever need, he said, "Because I love you.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Laurel nodded slowly, then paused. "I love him, Mom."
"I know you do. But there are a lot of different kinds of love.”

Aprilynne Pike
“But with me, you are never just a spring faerie.”

Aprilynne Pike
“You live your life and continue with all of your normal activities. I'll keep you safe," he said stepping forward to sweep a lock of hair back from her face. "Or die trying.”

Aprilynne Pike
“All of the heartache, the anger, the fear that this was as good as it was ever going to get, was worth it. Here, he could see her eyes and bask in her smiles-even when she wasn't smiling for him. Every day was worth the pain.”

Aprilynne Pike
“I would leave everything and join the World Tree tomorrow if she died, " Tamani said.
"I know, " Shar whispered through the darkness.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Oh my gosh, is that an iPhone?!" Laurel asked, her voice unconsciously rising in pitch and volume.
Tamani looked up at her, his expression blank."Yeah?"
"He has an iPhone," Laurel said to David. "My faerie sentry who generally lives without running water has an iPhone. That's. Just. Great. Everyone in the whole world has a cell phone except me. That's awesome.”

Aprilynne Pike
“You could be David's friend too". She glanced at Tamani when he said nothing. He was frowning. "The two of you really have a lot in common, and we're all in this together".
He shook his head. "It wouldn't work".
"Why not? He's a nice guy. And it would do you good to have some human friends", she said hinting at what she suspected was the root of the problem.
"It's not that", Tamani said, gesturing vaguely with one hand.
"Then why?" Laurel asked, exasperated.
"I just don't want to cosy up to the guy whose girl I have every intention of stealing”

Aprilynne Pike
“You were dancing with Yuki and I looked at you. And you turned away and held her closer. Why did you do that? If you didn't want to hurt me, then why?"

He looked away, as though he'd been slapped, but he didn't look guilty. He looked pained. "I closed my eyes," he said, his voice so low and strangled she could hardly hear him.

"What?" she asked, not understanding.

"Tamani held up a hand and Laurel realized he hadn't finished-he was having trouble speaking at all. "I closed my eyes," he repeated after a few shallow breaths, "and imagined she was you."He looked at her, his face open, his eyes honest, his voice a song of anguish.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Libbi I will agree that is was wrong to leave us on a cliff like that. but i think Yuki was just a pawn in Kleas game. and OMG about Klea, although I should have seen that comming.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Same here! When I thought about it, it was really obvious, but it didn't even occur to me, although it should've. Oh well.

And hmm, you think Yuki is just a pawn? I hope so.

Nadhya Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ yes! Tamani and Laurel!! and David and Chelsea!

Annabelle Marie Veronica Oh, most definitely! :D

Caroline Your so right! Yuri annoyed me so much that I absolutely HATED her. I hope that Laurel chooses Tamani. They seem perfect for each other.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Yeah, they do! I'll be sooo upset if they don't end up together. (: I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated Yuki so much!

mocha + I'm all for Tamani!! I feel so connected to bia character, it's insane. The clifdhanger was the worst! The wait for book #4 is going to kill me.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Oh I know exactly what you mean!!

message 9: by Imasha (new) - added it

Imasha i totally know what you mean! Tamani just makes me go awwwww!!! He is so perfect! The Romance between them is totally worth staying up unitll 1 in the morning! Tamani sounds like an faire angel!!