Nic's Reviews > But I Love Him

Jul 18, 2010

bookshelves: 2011, cover-crazy, realistic-fiction, read-in-2011
Read on June 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Rating: 4.5 stars

Favourite Quote: It's nearly dark. How long have I been lying here? The blackness reaches the corners of the room and fills everything. Once that darkness was cocoon, enveloping us and protecting us from everything outside the door. Together, we hid in the dark, hoping the world would leave well enough alone and we could find peace.
But nothing can protect me now, least of all the darkness.

But I Love Him is a completely absorbing tale. When I picked it up I only intended to have a quick look and then put it down and go back to my review books. But the story drew me in immediately and I had to just keep reading until I finished it in one sitting.

Grace deals with some compelling issues - physical and emotional abuse, family issues, friendships falling apart and losing the sense of who you are. The writing is powerful and thought provoking yet at the same time simple and honest. I marked quote after quote as it is the kind of writing I fall in love with. This tale is completely heartbreaking no matter how you tell it but I also love the way Grace wrote it in reserve. It felt like such a fresh, different and completely insightful take on a relationship gone wrong.

Ann and Connor are such well fleshed out characters. Ann story haunted me and just completely got under my skin. Her voice was utterly convincing. I felt like she was sitting across from me telling her story. You really get to know her and understand why she loved Connor so much.

What do you do when the one person you want comfort from the most is the one who caused your pain? How can I want so desperately for him to wrap me up in his arms but also want so much for him to leave me alone?

Connor is someone who is ruled by his past. This is the first time while reading about a physically abusive relationship that I have felt something for the abuser. I wouldn't say it was like because what he did was inexcusable but rather I understood him a little and was kind of wishing that maybe he would get help. He is a well crafted character that I would have like to have his own own story told as I think it could have been just as strong.

"Sometimes I think I spent forever waiting for you," he says. "My whole life, I've never had someone like you. Someone who doesn't have to be there, but is anyway. Someone who wants to just .... be with me because they want me. For me. Not because I'm your brother or your kid or anything, but because you choose me."

To me But I Love Him feels like Stolen and Forbidden, both books that I love, in the sense it shows that everything isn't as simple as black and white but there are plenty of shades of grey in between.

Overall, this is a standout read. I highly recommend this is you are looking for a story that is intense and realistic yet beautifully told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read But I Love Him.

06/03/2011 page 198
75.0% "Was only meant to have a quick look at this and ended up reading 198 pages. Really good but very sad...." 2 comments

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Wonderful review twinie! I don't think it's a me book, but I'm so glad you enjoyed this:)

Nomes awesome review nic

i think this is one i would enjoy (well, enjoy probably isn't the right word, but, you know :)

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Wow! This book sounds amazing! Great review Nic. If it's anything like Forbidden and Stolen, I'm sold! So glad you enjoyed it. :)

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Thanks ladies. I was really surprised at how thought provoking this book was since I read a lot of books about abusive relationships. But this one gave me a completely different insightl

message 5: by Milly (new)

Milly Sounds like it'll be another emotional read for me! Wonderful review Nic! Man, my TBR is piling up again with all these good reads you guys are recommending! It seems like one good read after another between you, Tina, and Nomes lately. How many books do you consume each week? It's like a book a day! LOL! Oh Wendy too! She's on a roll as well!

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Thanks Milly. I am not a super fast reader like Wendy, Tina or Nomes. I am just a few weeks behind on my reviews. I try to get through 3 books a week but that doesn't always happen.

message 7: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling This is the second conversation I've come across about my reading habits in as many days...at least I wasn't accused of being an alien in this one! ;) I'm glad to hear I"m not the only person who consumes books so greedily.

Great review as always, Nic!

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic You are a speed reader Wendy but that is awesome. I am jealous of your super power :)

Nomes i don't know why i read so much. i suspect it is b/c i don't sleep much at night and often read a book cover to cover while in bed at night ... i read 4 - 5 books a week. (okay ~ sometimes more :)

message 10: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic LOL. I wish I could read that many books in a week then my reading stack might to start to shrink!

message 11: by Milly (new)

Milly Wow! Talk about super powers! I love my sleep and need it or I won't be able to function at work the next day. Regardless, I think I'd be lucky if I finish a book cover to cover in a day. I usually finish two a week but that's because one book is an audible! Bam bam bam! I would surely love to read more! More super powers to you guys!