Nafiza's Reviews > Intrinsical

Intrinsical by Lani Woodland

Jul 18, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, books-i-own
Read from July 03 to 04, 2011

I am a sucker for books set in boarding schools. You see I grew up on a steady diet consisting of Enid Blyton books, books that are almost always set at boarding schools. Remember St. Clares? Mallory Towers? Or Elinor Brent Dyer's Chalet school series? No? Well okay, suffice it to say that where I grew up, these books were fairly popular. So anyway, back to Intrinsical.

I thought that the first novel was a strong opener in the trilogy. I enjoyed it thoroughly and if you have been following my reviews, you will know that it takes a fair bit to win me over. (Hur.)

1. The main character is likeable and relatable. This might seem very simple but to me, if the main character isn't likeable, I won't be able to read the book. I have to like her and I liked Yara. Actually, the first few pages alone won me over. I love it when gender roles are changed and the damsel in distress ends up being the prince on the white charger.

2. You know how in great horror movies, it is the atmosphere, the tenseness of the moment, taut nerves stretched tight, beating hearts sounding loud in the unnatural stillness of a room - Intrinsical creates the setting and atmosphere brilliantly. I felt my heart beat speed up and race, there were certain moments when I was almost afraid to turn the page. It was deliciously thrilling.

3. The friendship. There is a pushy friend but Ms. Woodland spends time developing her and her pushiness comes to make sense and becomes more forgivable when you are armed with the pertinent facts.

4. The mythology is engaging and believable. I have read a book or two that asks the reader to suspend their belief to such as extent that the belief might as well be orbiting around Jupiter. Intrinsical utilizes many techniques to create a mythology that actually makes sense.

5. The romance does not make me roll my eyes. I really loved the way it's handled with subtlety. Lani takes the time to actually develop their relationship, portray their attraction and let me tell you, the gradual development of any relationship rocks any grand insta-love you might be shipping. (Oops, fan girl term, short for worshipping the OTP...er, one true pair.) Anyway, Yara and Brent and their relationship (or the development of it) is very fun to read.

Intrinsical is a remarkable premise that will hold your attention and keep it so that you will be as impatient to read the second in the trilogy as I am. It is smartly written and the author has welded elements of romance, supernatural, thriller and intrigue in a manner that will make you wish the book was longer.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intrinsical.

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily oki doki, i'm now def gonna read :D