Constantine's Reviews > Epileptic

Epileptic by David B.

M_50x66
Dec 29, 07

Read in November, 2007

I don't know why, but recently I've been gravitating towards tales (or memoirs) featuring epilepsy. I haven't really been searching it out, it just happens. This was as harrowing as it was uplifting (but not in that Disney "uplifting" way).

Since its a graphic novel, I can review the art as well. I felt the art was too "graphic-designy" at times, but always solid. The story is so engrossing that whatever problems I may or may not have had with the art are easily eclipsed by the honesty of what and how it is told.

If you don't know, it's about the brother of the author being diagnosed with epilepsy at age 11 and how it affected the family as a whole. It's not as depressing as that may sound.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epileptic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruth Another really great book about epilepsy is "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down." Just in case you want to consciously seek out another book about epilepsy.

Adding this one to my to-reads. (You have such eclectic taste in books.)

Constantine I really haven't been seeking them out but thanks for the recommendation. I picked this book up then saw the film "Control" about the band Joy Divison's singer/ founder Ian Curtis and his struggles with depression and . . .ta-da, epilepsy. So, when I started reading "I Was Born on A Blue Day" and the author talks about a bout with epilepsy on top of his autism, I thought to myself, "What the F, cosmos? Seriously, lighten up."

I suppose the next issue of Bat Man that I pick up will have an epileptic character in it.