Jessica's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Jul 09, 14

bookshelves: 2011-reading-challenge, on-my-shelf, coming-of-age, love-story, series, young-adult, dystopian, review, fiction, trilogy
Read from May 27 to June 05, 2011

See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

The first dystopian novel I read was Delirium, and I have a feeling I’ll be comparing the rest of the dystopians to it. Matched was a good read, but I suppose I expected a little more. Not that I didn’t enjoy it, or that the story wasn’t done right. I was engrossed in it. Sometimes when you read books that have complicated story lines, you can be a little irritated with the setbacks (like rules keeping people from doing what they want, or from doing the right thing).

Like in Matched, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is regulated. Controlled. There is little that a person can do of their own choice. The whole love triangle brewing between Cassia and her match Xander and Ky, causing you to wonder where it will lead. How can it even get to anywhere with all the restrictions? How annoying are all the restrictions? I felt so claustrophobic thinking about it. I cannot imagine how it would feel to have everything planned and carried out by officers to keep it properly done. Yet I couldn’t stop reading because I wanted to see what Cassia was going to do about her feelings, IF there was anything she was going to be able to do without getting caught.

A great and well written story that definitely made me want more. I think my only issues were with where it was going near the end, which I cannot divulge so as not to spoil. Not that it was a bad way to end the first book or anything, it's just, different. I do have high hopes for where it will continue in the next book.

See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

05/28/2011 page 87