Jane Stewart's Reviews > No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

No Such Thing as a Free Lunch by Shelly Fredman

Jul 18, 2010

bookshelves: humorous-female-mystery, potential-romance-to-be-continued, 5-star-other
Read in July, 2010

Well done mystery, good series of events, none of my pet peeves, lots of humor and laughing, great character creation.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This is not a typical mystery. It’s creative, different, and interesting all the way through. Brandy solves the case in her “unique” and very entertaining way. This is the 3rd book in the series. Although you could read any one of them as a stand-alone, I think it’s better if you read them in order.

I read romance novels because they make me feel good. The first three books do not have a “romance ending,” but the stories have me laughing and chuckling so often that I get plenty of my desired dose of “feel good.” Although Brandy does not have a guy at the end, the endings are happy in other ways: she solves the mysteries, she’s surrounded by a number of people who care about her, and she cares about them. I enjoy being in her world. By the way there is a romantic happy ending in book 4 which was worth waiting for.

Right now Brandy loves two men: ex-boyfriend Bobby the police detective, and Nick the slightly dangerous Hispanic man with underworld connections and lots of women. Nick is incapable of “commitment” which hurts.

STORY BRIEF:
Brandy was recently hired as a fluff reporter for a local tv news station. Tamra, the station’s investigative reporter, invites Brandy to lunch. During lunch, Tamra receives a phone call from an angry man Richard. Her husband Jeff shows up at the restaurant – also angry with her. Some scary things happen to Brandy, and soon Tamra is found dead in her bathtub. The police believe it was suicide. Brandy and Tamra are similar in appearance, causing Brandy to suspect the attacks on her were meant for Tamra. She believes Tamra was murdered and begins her own interesting, creative, lucky, and amazing style of investigating.

DATA:
Story length: 313 pages. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: 1. Setting: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Copyright: 2008. Genre: humorous female mystery and potential romance to be continued.

OTHER BOOKS:
Following is the Brandy Series in order. You can read any book as a stand-alone, but I think it’s best if you read them in order. The first book sets up important things to know.

4 stars. No Such Thing As A Secret
5 stars. No Such Thing As A Good Blind Date
5 stars. No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
5 stars. No Such Thing As A Free Ride
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Such Thing as a Free Lunch.

07/06 marked as: read