Jay's Reviews > Telling Lies: Clues to Deceit in the Marketplace, Politics, and Marriage, Third Edition

Telling Lies by Paul Ekman

2419499
Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: historical-recent, non-fiction, psychology
Read from July 18 to 22, 2010

In terms of data, this is a very good book. Ekman is clearly very researched in his area, and he is able to break down the information in a way that it is possible for a layperson (such as myself) who has little to no information on the psychology behind lying. He goes through the possible motivations behind lying (and really, lying isn't always negative), the facial and behavioural clues, and even points out areas that people may not even notice. I particularly liked the appendix, where tables were set up to allow people how to read others.

A problem I found is that it is so very dry, particularly when he talks about polygraphs and the chapter entitled Lying in the 1990s. I just found my enthusiasm waning. It's a good book, don't get me wrong, but I found myself losing steam. If you don't mind dry works, then perhaps you, the reader of this review, will enjoy it more.

But it's highly informative, provides great detail, and is no doubt useful to those who Ekman dubs as 'lie catchers'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Telling Lies.