Kathryn 's Reviews > Wild Magic

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

Jul 31, 2010

bookshelves: read-2010, books-i-own, finished-series, first-in-a-serie, five-star-rating
Read from July 26 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy

Beautiful, enchanting, magical, wonderful and endearing.

I have finally found a book to call it mine.
Yes, I have read fair amout of young adult books that I really enjoyed and loved but nothing has touched me so close to my heart than this book.

I knew I would like it before I read it, considering it was about a girl with power to convince, heal and converse with animals. As a little girl, I'd dream of such 'power'. There is no super hero(heroine) in this world I'd rather be!
I savored every page while reading it. It was so much more than expected. I burst out crying in the end.

It's full of adventures, mysteries and wonderful characters that most people will love to read.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Magic.

07/29/2010 page 28
7.0% "beautiful."
07/30/2010 page 174
45.0% "oh, how wonderful.."
07/30/2010 page 252
66.0% "I think it's safe to say that I have found my book !!!!!"

Nora :) I remember reading that for the first time -- and you get lucky, there is three more to go and they are all already out!

And did you read Alanna, yet? Because that is the first series and that is definitely MY book!

I envy you a lot that you have them all still to go ;)!

Have fun! Nora

Kathryn No, but I do have it on the wishlist.
Is 'Wild Magic' like a spin off from 'Alanna'??

message 3: by Nora (last edited Jul 31, 2010 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Is 'Wild Magic' like a spin off from 'Alanna'??"

Yes it is! When I read Wild Magic and had all my beloved characters from Alanna in it... I can't even explain. All the series taking place in Tortall are great. Daine, Alanna, and Protector of the small are my favorites.

See my review on Alanna (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) to find links to all the series taking place in Tortall!

Enjoy :)! Nora

Kathryn I will check out all the books you've mentioned.
But for now I'm off to book 2 of this seires. =)

I'm in love with this book.
words can't explain, just like you do yours.

Nora This is so great :). I really, really love that you love it so much! And don't worry -- all the books in the series are great! You have three more heart wrenching books to go ;).

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim You convinced me, I put this on my list ^^

message 7: by Nora (last edited Jul 31, 2010 07:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Kim wrote: "You convinced me, I put this on my list ^^"

:) Good for you, Kim! But read Alanna first, otherwise you will spoil for yourself who will end up with who...

Kathryn I agree with Nora there.

message 9: by Brandi (new)

Brandi The synopsis really intrigues me for much the same reasons as you stated, but I dont know what you guys mean when you say read Alanna first? The title says this is the first in this series? Thanks in advance for any help! Its going to take me a while to learn the ins and outs of this site!

Kathryn Hey Brandi, Alanna: The First Adventure is the first series the author Tamora Pierce wrote back in 1983. Which has little to do with Wild Magic series, although they say it's kind of a spin off series.
I'm reading Alanna: The First Adventure this year. (very excited!)
I hope this was helpful, and you'll get use to this site quickly enough ^_^

message 11: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Hey Brandi,
Alanna is a different series (like Kathryn said). It takes place before Wild Magic and I would really really recommend reading it first! All the characters from the Alanna series are also present in the Wild Magic series and you will spoil yourself if you have not read it first. Both series' are AWESOME. I envy everybody who can still read them for the first time! Have fun!!!

message 12: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Thank you ladies for clearing that up! :)

message 13: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Most welcome :). If you read it let us know what you think...

message 14: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Nora wrote: "Most welcome :). If you read it let us know what you think..."

I sure will! I was beyond excited when I saw that this site was a public/member site. I always thought it was for professional critics~or something of the sort lol. Very excited to be part of it!

message 15: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Be careful, it's addictive ;).

message 16: by Brandi (new)

Brandi lol, I can see that :)

Kathryn I'm so happy that once again Goodreads has claimed another victim. lol I couldn't get tear myself off this site when I first joined ! Can't wait to read your reviews ! ^0^

message 18: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Kathryn wrote: "I'm so happy that once again Goodreads has claimed another victim. lol I couldn't get tear myself off this site when I first joined ! Can't wait to read your reviews ! ^0^"

lol right?! Im on here multiple time a day everyday haha! This is my kind of place, with my kinds of people! Ive never reviewed a book though where other people could actually read it, and I just discovered that its not quite as easy as iit is when Im the only one who cares lol.

message 19: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora I always try to convey what it felt like to read the book. But I agree it is not always easy, especially if it made you emotional (and these are the best ones, right?). Also looking forward to your reviews.

message 20: by Brandi (new)

Brandi You guys are so nice! Its been intimidating here Ill admit. I didn't realize this was so social networky and I've seen many people's "about me" saying the wont take friends lol. So nice that you guys are being so welcoming! Thank you! :)

I have a question~I went searching through the book lists of most antcipated 2011 books, and most of the ones I was interested in turned out to be YA. Which isnt a bd thing, but YA isnt my first choice in genres. Is there something I am missing when it comes to searching that keeps flinging me back to YA? I like YA, but I also like having an adult perspective/relationship when I read and I can get very annoyed with the teen angst after a while. Small doeses does me good with that genre.

message 21: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora I never noticed this YA thing when I am looking for books. Must admit, that I am a sucker for YA, though :P. I think maybe it has something to do with YA being mostly series and that's what people anticipate most? I usually use my book recommendations from amazon to get an idea what could interest me and then look it up here and read through the reviews. With this I found very quickly people who like the same stuff I do and I put them on "follow reviews" and by now I find more books I am interested in than I will ever be able to read by reading those reviews...

Does that help?

message 22: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Very much, thank you! lol, I just looked at my to-read list and I have some 30-odd books on there so far, with only maybe 8 of them ones I was already looking forward to lol. This place is awesome!

I have a read a few YA series, and I did enjoy them, but sometimes I like to see the sex in a book lol! I think Twilight might have been my first YA series, and the teen obscession was a little off putting. I ended up really liing the series because...of something I cant figure out right now lol. Bella annoyed the heck out of me as did the boys. But its true that I liked the series. Strange. Anyway, the YA ones I've come across on my to-read lists look really intriguing!

message 23: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora There are some great YA out there... But I also enjoy adult stuff as well. I saw that you read Sookie Stackhouse. I love this series! Kathryn actually pointed me to True Blood and it's a serious addiction. I am just saying TV and literature crush at the same time!!! (call me dork, I'll turn 30 this year...)

The other adult series I really enjoy is the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh. Very steamy... Not good in a literary way but hot :).

message 24: by Brandi (new)

Brandi I do love me some Sookie...and Eric too of course!! lol! I can't watch True Blood though. AP is so-oo-oo not right in that role (imo), I dont think she cant act to save her life, but thats just me lol. I just cant do it. I got into the books when my husband thought he was being sweet in giving me the first since I was starting to watch the show (he didnt realize that I try to avoid reading before or after a show/movie since the books are always so much better), but I read it to be nice and fell in love with the characters. I did wonder though if Harris shouldnt have stopped the series when we got to the faeries. Im excited for May so I can get into her world again though!

I think that series is one I have on my to-reads now lol. I found it in your lists I think.....though Im getting things jumbled from being on here so long today :p

message 25: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Weekends are the worst ;). I do not go on at work anymore... It's just no use. I only get home later :).

But I will snuggle up in bed and read some Morganville now. Talk to you soon.

Kathryn ahhh,,, Twilight was a disaster !! horribly written but have to admit I read all four books within five days ! There are so many great YA books out there that are not even a series.
I haven't read a lot of adult fantasy books but the Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead series is awesome ! the last book comes out this year some time in April. Hot and pretty romantic *^^*

message 27: by Brandi (new)

Brandi I agree with everything you just said lol! I like the Dark Swan series by Mead, so I went to my Borders to get her Succubus series and they only had one. I got all annoyed and decided I would order them another time and I havent gotten around to doing that yet. I should though since I am a fan of Mead. Have you read Gini Koch? She is really funny! How do I link a book like that?

Kathryn I was a huge fan of Mead until I read her last book Vampire Academy series.... *sigh* which was a disappointment. Gini Koch is the name of the author right? I'll check it out ! and to add links -> just click on the "add book/author" button right on top of this comment box !

message 29: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Oh no it was? I was planning on reading them once I finsihed the Succubus ones, in spite of them being YA lol. Thats a bummer :( Thanks for the tip on the book!!!Touched by an Alien

This is the one I was talking about~I know it looks hockey, but it is really good! The author is FUN-NY! I dont typically do alien stories but this one caught my eye, and I figured a little trashy-b novel would be a good time filler....I ended up staying up all night to finish it because I was really enjoying it and the author was making me laugh out loud. I went to the store to buy the second one but they (of course) didnt have it, so I have been impatiently waiting for days. I recommend giving it a chance even if you arent normally into that kind of s/l. :)

Kathryn well, you could still fall in love with them. It's kina like "Twilight" where you can't help but be crazy about it no matter what !

"Touched by an Alien" in on Kindle, so I'll check it out soon ^_^