Kelly's Reviews > The Annotated Pride and Prejudice

Dec 29, 07

bookshelves: jane-austen-related
Recommended for: Geeky Austen fans who know their stuff
Read in November, 2007

I should note that my rating and critique are of this particular edition of the books, and not of Jane Austen's text per se. The text of P&P is excellent and earns 5 stars. In this book, the even-numbered pages have a page of text from P&P; the facing, odd-numbered pages on the right have David Shapard's footnotes, many of which I found unnecessary (explaining what I took to be relatively simple period words), and at least a handful of which were incorrect and based on his opinion, rather than on fact, although they didn't say so. However, there were some, as, for example, the one on rules of precedence that accompanies the scene where Lady Catherine de Bourgh visits the Bennet's house, which explain what reads (and shows in movies) as an awkward moment. It would have been vaguely awkward at the time, too, but not because the Bennets are being rude (which is sometimes how the scene seems in modern times), but because Lady Catherine is so rude and high-handed (which makes it awkward-funny, not awkward-rude).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated Pride and Prejudice.