Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*'s Reviews > Extreme Exposure

Extreme Exposure by Pamela Clare

Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, reviewed, owned-read, author-pamela-clare, favourites
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*, Zosia and new_user
Recommended for: Any Romance Lover, Especially of Great and HOT Romantic Suspense
Read from October 03 to 06, 2010, read count: 1

6th Oct 2010 - Initial thoughts were:

4.5 Stars - I really enjoyed this! But....This book made me think of my work. For that reason alone, I'll have to minus half a star. LOL ^o^ Actually, to be more accurate, my line of work made me question parts of the legislative process portrayed in this book and now I feel like I need to do "homework" to find out how it works in Colorado. Dang! ^_^
.......................................

11th Oct 2010

Rating reviewed to: 5 Stars. I decided it was unfair of me to bump it down just because it made me think of my work during my leisure escape reading. Plus, the more I thought about the comparisons in legislative processes, the more I appreciated that this book made me think about that. I'm contradicting myself, aren't I? Anyway, I know what I'm talking about! LOL

I’ve been struggling lately with organising my thoughts for reviews, so, for this one, I’ve decided to disguise my ramblings with an interview format. *cough, cough* I mean, I've decided on an interview format as inspired by the I-Team! Of course!

Q: Do you usually read Romantic Suspense and is this your first time reading Pamela Clare’s work?

A: I used to read a bit of Romantic Suspense, mostly of the murder mystery variety in the works of Linda Howard, Kay Hooper, and Tami Hoag. I haven’t read Romantic Suspense/Crime Thrillers in almost 3 years – since a family member of mine was murdered. For some reason, I just couldn’t bring myself to read books in this genre after that.

BUT….I kept seeing great reviews and comments about Pamela Clare’s I-Team series through my GR friends, and I decided it was time I stopped being such a wuss and read this genre again. I mean, it’s not like there hasn’t been violence in the PNRs, Fantasy, Historical Romances and some YA I’ve read!

I want to say THANKS to my GR friends who recommended this series (special mention to UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*, Zosia and new_user)! Yes, this is my first read of Pamela Clare’s writing and I must say that I really enjoyed it!! It was suspenseful, funny, romantic, steamy, and informative!

*Interviewer thinks to self: Wow! And that was only the first question! We’ll be here all night!*

*discreetly clears throat*

Q: So, tell me, what did you think of Extreme Exposure?

Oohhh, maybe I shouldn’t have asked that question! Too open ended! Ah, too late!

A: As I said, I used to read murder mystery type Romantic Suspense, usually involving law enforcement, so I really enjoyed reading a Romantic Suspense involving a team of investigative reporters. It was different from what I had read, previously.

I really appreciated the detail and insight into investigative journalism. Pamela Clare, having worked as an investigative reporter and editor-in-chief for two newspapers, clearly drew from that experience in writing this book, which gave this book a realism and authenticity.

With my own background working within the legislative process in Government in Australia, I found the legislative aspects in Extreme Exposure interesting, and appreciated seeing the differences and similarities between the Colorado and South Australian systems. One aspect that threw me, though, was of Senator Reece Sheridan “editing” the bills he would be introducing into session. I’m thankful that I got to chat with Pamela Clare, herself, and ask her some questions about the bill process in Colorado for clarification. She was really friendly and approachable and I really appreciated her taking the time to chat with me. Thanks again, Pamela!

Q: What are your thoughts on the characters?

A: I really liked Kara McMillan, the heroine, an investigative reporter with the environmental beat. She’s a very dedicated journalist and single mother of 4 year-old, Connor, struggling to balance her work with being a mother. She’s been burnt in love by Connor’s father. Kara finds herself swept away by Senator Reece Sheridan’s charm, but she’s extremely cautious of getting into a serious relationship, for Connor’s sake, and also to protect herself from vulnerability. She’s independent and strong, but sweet, as well. Yeah, I really liked her.

And Senator Reece Sheridan? Whoo Weee!! *fans self* That man is HOT!! LOL I mean, I haven’t met a politician like him in my own work, much to my dismay, but I’m certainly thankful he exists in this book and in my mind now. *grins* Thanks to Pamela Clare for creating him. I loved Reece! He’s confident, sweet, he not only cooks but he cooks well *sighs*, he's good with kids, is incredibly sexy and is a a take charge but giving man in the bedroom (and elsewhere! ^_^). I love that he’s really a teacher at heart, and became a legislator to put his words into action. I mean, he’s not a man who hasn’t made mistakes, but he’s a politician with integrity.

And when Kara and Reece get together, dang, is it HOT!!! - Not just sparks flying but it’s a flaming inferno!! LOL

Q: What are your most memorable moments from the book?

A: Hmm…I’ll try to not to give away spoilers. I thought the opening chapter and Kara’s risqué talk to Reece at the restaurant, after one too many margaritas, was hilarious, though mortifying for her! It immediately drew me into the book!

Another funny and memorable scene involved an embarrassing moment with Kara’s son Connor, Reece and … something purple. LOL That’s all I’ll say.

And I brought a pic for my other memorable moment:

Q: A mountain lion pouncing in the snow?? *raises eyebrow*

A: *smiles* Anyone who has read the book will know what I’m talking about. And for those who haven’t read the book, well, read it to find out!! ^_^

Q: Who would you cast as Reece and Kara?

A: Well, I immediately saw Patrick Wilson, in my mind while reading, as Reece, because I think he has that handsome senator air to him, and is also believable as a teacher-turned-legislator. Though, I imagine his hair lighter than in these pictures, as he’s described as having conservatively cut dark blonde hair and blue eyes. Plus, I really like his smile. *sighs, goofy grin on face* Sorry, I developed a bit of a crush on Patrick Wilson... after watching Watchmen, even though he played a slightly pudgy washed-out superhero in that, and my crush grew stronger in Little Children, where he played a sexy Mr. Popular Jock turned stay-at-home dad.... so, I’m afraid I have a quite a few illustrative shots of him as my Reece.

And for Kara, she was described as having beautiful long dark hair and green-gold eyes, and Jennifer Connelly immediately came to mind. I was pleased to find a photo of her which reminded me of a scene of Kara in the book.

And there's even a scandalous photo of the two of them:

And now I'm just as exhausted as they look, from all the asking and answering of questions and researching visual aids! ^_^

*Interview ceased to go dream of yummy senators and tortured undercover agents*

Editor’s Note:

Here’s a special montage of Reece’s (Patrick Wilson’s) ass-ets ^_~:

**WARNING: Not Safe For Work!!!**

Reece's Assets

Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER: I do not hold the copyright to any of the images used in this review. They are posted to add visuals to the review and for fun. If any of these images are yours and you would like me to remove them, please let me know, and I will do so as soon as possible. If I can identify the copyright, I will do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extreme Exposure.

10/03/2010 page 12
4.0% "Oh, Kara, you're going to regret that in the morning!! LOL" 9 comments
10/03/2010 page 47
14.0% "Awesome. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I loved Kara's Jedi mind trick! ^_^"
10/03/2010 page 156
47.0% "OMG!!! Like Mountain Lions!!!! RAWRRR!!!!! *runs icy cold glass along neck*" 12 comments
10/04/2010 page 184
55.0% "Mr. Jiggle Stick!!!! ^_^"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Sans (new)

Sans Jayne, you're making me re-think my distaste of politicians.

message 2: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 07, 2010 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Sans, Senator Reece Sheridan is a very rare politician. ^_^

Amanda LJ, i have read all I-Team series book except this one..LOL!!
Btw, now i'm a big fan of Pamela Clare..!!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Why haven't you read this one, Amanda?? I'm really liking it! I look forward to reading the other books.

Amanda I started with Hard Evidence then Unlawful Contact and now just finished Naked Edge.
Maybe after this will try to find this one..
All PC'c books are great, she's my fave author!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* It's good! Of course, I can't compare it to the others yet! ^_^

message 7: by Sans (new)

Sans There wasn't a TAT in the book, was there??

new_user LOL. It made me wonder if there are politicians like this. I think I wrote that in my review, LOL. One thing I can't fault Clare for though is research. That is evident in the book.

Sans, you don't mean tattoo, do you? LOL.

message 9: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 07, 2010 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* No, Sans, no TAT in the book!

NU, "TAT" stands for "Tight @rse T" - T being the initial of a guy I work with, who never ceases to amaze/annoy me and other colleagues with the levels his tight@rseness can go! LOL

new_user LOL, Jayne! Thanks for the clarification. I would have never guessed. I'll look out for TATs, LOL.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Yes, NU, stay away from the TATs of this world! Ugh! LOL

message 12: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 07, 2010 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I guess I should clarify what I meant by "This book made me think of my work."

Firstly, though, I did want to say that I know that Pamela Clare has worked as an investigative reporter and editor so the aspects of the book regarding the life of an investigative reporter were very interesting to me. She clearly writes from experience.

So, what is my work? I work in Legislation, ie. I’m involved in the legislative process of amending statutory laws. Specifically, I’m a Senior Project Officer in the Legislation Section of a government department in Australia. I definitely have not met a politician anything like Senator Reece Sheridan, much to my misfortune! LOL But I loved Reece Sheridan! And while he doesn’t exist here, I’m glad he exists in this book and in my mind now. ^_^

Coming from this background, I guess the aspect that threw me in this book was that Senator Sheridan “edits” the Bills he introduces. That is unheard of here! That's not to say this is inaccurate in the book. I don't know. But now I'm going to have to do my own research to find out! LOL

A Bill here (if it is being introduced by the government) is drafted by the Office of Parliamentary Counsel, who are trained lawyers whose role is to draft legislation. People like me (Legislation Project/Policy Officers), most of whom also have legal qualifications, write submissions to Cabinet to get approval to draft Bills/Regulations and we write the drafting instructions for Parliamentary Counsel and liaise with them and the operational areas of government departments who will need to work within the proposed legislation. If there are any "edits" to a "settled" Bill, there is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. The Minister doesn't just "edit" a Bill.

What I can’t remember and will have to go back and check, was Senator Sheridan an Independent Senator, or was he a Senator with the Government party or the Opposition party?

Anyway, if an independent member of Parliament or a member from the opposition party was to introduce a Bill, they would still need to liaise with Parliamentary Counsel to draft their Bill. Any “edits” to the Bill can only be done by Parliamentary Counsel. At least that’s how it works here. So now I’m interested to find out how it works in Colorado.

Plus, the Senators were way too civil to each other in this book! LOL Where were the interjections? The Senators not paying attention and reading the paper? Crossing the floor to chat with each other while one was talking, calling each other names and the sarcasm?? Seriously, this is what happens in Parliament here. The Senators during session in Colorado were too well behaved to be real! It’s worse than a school playground here! That’s all I’m saying. Or maybe politicians really are as hardworking and polite over there. ^_^

Anyway, if you stuck with me this far, you deserve a gold star! ^_^ Sorry to bore you all to death! LOL

new_user LOL! Not at all Jayne. It is very interesting to learn about the model of government in Australia. We never learned about that. That is definitely different from the US.

Clare is correct. :) In the US, any senator can suggest amendments to a proposed law. There is essentially no third party interference, apart from the lawyers hired by senators to draft the legalese. (Although there are rules governing whom has priority, number of amendments, which portions may be amendable, and which subjects discussed.) The last is where trouble arises, with senators introducing non-germane amendments for ulterior motives. Since bills are long (understatement) these edits aren't always read carefully. Sneaky, eh? LOL.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks so much for that link, NU! I haven't had a chance to do my own research yet.

BTW, you seem to know quite a bit on the subject matter. Might I ask what your occupation is? ^_^

message 15: by new_user (last edited Oct 07, 2010 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

new_user Np, Jayne. I'm actually in psychology. LOL. Thankfully! I don't mind reading about cute politicans like Reece, but working with them is another matter.

But this is part of the education of most students in the US: the branches of government, including the houses, the process of passing a bill, etc. I don't know if senators are rude to each other though. It's probably not likely in the chambers, but I'm sure it's quite possible outside those halls, LOL. It's kind of interesting that Reece serves on an Audit committee though. It says something about him that he was nominated to a team of watchdogs, LOL.

message 16: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 07, 2010 11:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I studied psychology and law! ^_^ Practised law for a couple of years, but now working in legislation in government. What kind of psychology are you in? Clinical? Organisational?

NU, I should clarify. When a Bill is introduced into Parliament here, either by a government Minister or a Private Member's Bill, any member of Parliament can move an "in-house" amendment to that Bill. (We find “in-house” amendments very annoying! LOL) The actual in-house amendments and Bill though must be drafted by the Office of Parliamentary Counsel (for consistency of drafting) in consultation with the requesting member of Parliament. The Minister’s/Senator’s themselves don’t do the “editing”. Maybe what Clare meant when she wrote that Reece was “editing” the Bills is that he was making his comments and then would hand it to the drafters for drafting?

Further, when a government Minister introduces a Bill into Parliament, someone from the legislation section of the government department like my section prepares a bill folder with answers to anticipated questions that may be asked in Parliament. We are to sit next to the Minister in Parliament and assist him/her in answering any issues that arise during session. If any “in-house” amendments are proposed, we have to prepare briefings for the Minister about whether to support the amendment or issues with the amendment. The Minister doesn’t just take a Bill through the lower and upper houses all on their own.

I liked reading about a handsome, idealistic senator, like Reece! I just didn’t like having to think about work during my “escape” time! LOL

message 17: by new_user (last edited Oct 07, 2010 11:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

new_user I'm trying to get into organizational now actually! Wish me luck! I don't think I'm good for clinical. I'm not the nurturing type. ^^' LOL! I think I understand what you mean about thinking about work in your escape time though! We're trying to get away from that! LOL.

That is very interesting to learn about your Parliament. It sounds like the duties performed by your impartial, third party Counsel are the same usually performed by the aides and employees, e.g. lawyers, of the senator. There is really nothing in place like a Parliamentary Counsel to help a senator outside his own office, where he's boss and hires any help he needs. It doesn't sound like something this government would supply. Very individualistic, sink or swim, LOL.

message 18: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 09, 2010 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* new_user wrote: "I'm trying to get into organizational now actually! Wish me luck! I don't think I'm good for clinical. I'm not the nurturing type. ^^' LOL! I think I understand what you mean about thinking about w..."

Oh, all the best with getting into organisational psychology, NU!!! Have you just finished your psych studies? I was thinking of being a psychologist but I'm too empathetic and it would just be too hard for me. I really want to help people, but I think I need distance and that's hard for me. Plus, I have my own psychological issues to deal with! LOL

Also, to get further in my psych studies, there was too much statistics, and this is what I think of stats LOL:

new_user Yeah, I just finished recently. :) That was a relief. LOL @ stats! Oh, the things we do in boring lectures! I used to doodle and sometimes fashion stories, LOL. By the end of the lecture, I would have a whole book going, LOL!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks, Zosia! And thanks for being one of the people who recommended the series to me! Several recommendations certainly pushed me to bite the bullet and read Romantic Suspense again, and I'm truly appreciative that my return to Romantic Suspense was a good one with Pamela Clare's I-Team.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* new_user wrote: "Yeah, I just finished recently. :) That was a relief. LOL @ stats! Oh, the things we do in boring lectures! I used to doodle and sometimes fashion stories, LOL. By the end of the lecture, I would h..."

Oh, sorry, NU, I didn't see this. Maybe one day those ideas in stats class will lead to a lucrative career as an author! ^_^

new_user LOL, thanks, Jayne. ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) That was a great review, Jayne. Patrick Wilson is a cutie, although I didn't like him in The Phantom of the Opera. He was kind of wussy in that. But, since then...yummy!

message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Thanks so much, Jayne. And you're welcome! I enjoyed our chat. I'm so glad you took a risk on the books, but I'm deeply sorry about your loss. Violent crime leaves a deep impact on the lives not only of the victim, but of the victim's family. My condolences.

I'll give one away for free and own up to the nasty talk at the bar. Yes, that's what happens when my brain and alcohol mix. And that's exactly what I said to the legislator I met there. Then I got to spend the entire weekend trying to forget — which made me want to drink again.

I love your choices for Reece and Kara. Let's hope that movie version is coming soon. :-)

As for mountain lions... Did you know that they actually purr? ;-)

message 25: by new_user (last edited Oct 11, 2010 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

new_user Pudgy! Didn't you see him in his nude scene? LOL. ;) Mmm, mmm good.

LOL @ mountain lions!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That was a great review, Jayne. Patrick Wilson is a cutie, although I didn't like him in The Phantom of the Opera. He was kind of wussy in that. But, since then...yummy!"

Thanks, Danielle! I still haven’t watched The Phantom of the Opera, though I’ve been meaning to watch it. I have seen pics of Patrick Wilson from it, and I must say, that long hair doesn’t really suit him. Much better with short hair!

Cheryl What a great review Jayne!! I have this waiting for me to read on my shelf and I can't wait to get to it! I actually just started my first PC book, Surrender and I am totally in love with the hero already!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Pamela wrote: "Thanks so much, Jayne. And you're welcome! I enjoyed our chat. I'm so glad you took a risk on the books, but I'm deeply sorry about your loss. Violent crime leaves a deep impact on the lives only of the victim, but of the victim's family. My condolences.

Now the fun part is guessing which scenes in that book are real..."

Thanks, Pamela. I remember not being able to sleep for weeks after my cousin was killed. I’d also lost my brother earlier that year, and Lisa Kleypas’, Julie Garwood’s and Julia Quinn’s historical romances became my escape. But I found I just couldn’t pick up a Romantic Suspense/Crime Thriller.

Though it wasn’t just the violence aspect that I was concerned about, but more so that there’s always justice in RS, and well, we just don’t have that with my cousin’s murder. There is no Justice-Ever-After for our family, nor for a lot of victims of crime and their families. My aunt and uncle were actually both politicians, so it was in the news in Malaysia, when it happened. Though a baffling autopsy report, potential police corruption, and nothing but lies and more lies from his fiancée, means that we won’t ever truly know what happened that night. I know it sounds like fiction but it is all too real for my family and I. But I rest in the belief that there will be justice in the afterlife, if not here on earth. Anyway, thank you for your books which drew me back into the genre! Truly! I feel like I’ve faced down a sort of demon.

Now…on to more fun stuff…Oh my gosh, Pamela! I’m blushing for you that the “nasty talk” was based on real life experience! But thanks for putting that in the book. It was certainly an engaging start to the book! LOL

Now I won’t ask if mountain lions and the “Mr. Jiggle Incident” were based on experience. *cough, cough*

And I do hope your own investigations didn’t lead to such dangerous situations as the ones in the books!

message 29: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Loved the visual aids!

message 30: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 12, 2010 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* new_user wrote: "Pudgy! Didn't you see him in his nude scene? LOL. ;) Mmm, mmm good.

LOL @ mountain lions!"

Well, he was playing a pudgy impotent ex-superhero, NU! But I’ve amended my review to say slightly pudgy. ^_^ He looked HOT in his owl suit! And you’re right, even in the Watchmen that man had a great @ss, and he’s certainly not afraid to bare it! LOL

Here’s a special montage of his ass-ets ^_~:

***WARNING: Totally Not Safe For Work!***

Mountain lions rule!! RAWR!!! LOL

Nissie Great review with great visual aids, Jayne!

new_user LOL! He certainly isn't afraid to bare it all!

message 34: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 11, 2010 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Cheryl wrote: "What a great review Jayne!! I have this waiting for me to read on my shelf and I can't wait to get to it! I actually just started my first PC book, Surrender and I am totally in lo..."

Thanks, Cheryl! I ordered the Mackinnon Rangers books last night. Look forward to reading them! I managed to find a new one of Untamed but a second-hand one of Surrender.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks, AH, Laurie and Nissie! I do love my visual aids! ^_^

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* new_user wrote: "LOL! He certainly isn't afraid to bare it all!"

Bless Patrick for that!!! I certainly appreciate his dedication to keeping it real and earhty. ^_~ LOL

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Pamela wrote: "Now the fun part is guessing which scenes in that book are real... And which are fiction.

I'll give one away for free and own up to the nasty talk at the bar. Yes, that's what happens when my brain and alcohol mix. And that's exactly what I said to the legislator I met there. Then I got to spend the entire weekend trying to forget — which made me want to drink again."

Pamela, I'm curious, you asked those crazy risqué questions while intoxicated, but did the legislator give the same responses that Reece did?? ^_^

You mentioned previously that the I-Team books are based on real investigations. The real life environment polluting company/people involved did get convicted, right?

Auntee Great review LJ--very clever way to get your points across! And loved the visual aides too!

message 39: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 11, 2010 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks, Auntee! I remember seeing that Danielle had written a Q&A style review for Outlander…(Darn! which reminds me, I got interrupted reading that a while back and was going to go back to it *Note to self: read clever Danielle’s Outlander review!*)…Sorry, Auntee, as I was saying, I’ve been struggling lately to write my reviews and I remembered Danielle’s Q&A and thought that since this is a review for a book in a series about reporters, that I’d do an interview format, and hopefully that would stop me from rambling too much. ^_^

And I’m glad you enjoyed the visuals!

message 40: by Ronyell (new) - added it

Ronyell Awesome review Jayne!!! I love the way that you put this review in a Question/Answer format!!! That's so creative!!

Jasmin great review Ate Jayne! :D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks, Ronyell and Jasmin!

message 43: by Ronyell (new) - added it

Ronyell You're welcome!

message 44: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Oct 12, 2010 02:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* If you like Romantic Suspense, Ronyell, make sure you add this series! ^_^

message 45: by Ronyell (new) - added it

Ronyell Alright! I'm adding it to my TBR list right now!

Laura the Highland Hussy I think I will too :)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ronyell and Laurie, put aside any dislike you may have towards politicians because Senator Reece Sheridan is HOT! Amazing and HOT!! ^_^

message 48: by Ronyell (new) - added it

Ronyell Alright!!!

message 50: by MelissaB (last edited Oct 18, 2010 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Wow, great review Lady Jayne! Love the pics and the interesting review style. I love these books too!

« previous 1