Jennifer's Reviews > 1st to Die

1st to Die by James Patterson

Jul 17, 10

bookshelves: mystery
Read in January, 2004

I loved 1st to Die. It was the perfect beginning to a thrilling series. I thought the women's decision to join forces and work together to stop a serial killer was ingenious. I think it spoke to the true character of each of them, showing that their true goal was to protect the public from danger rather than be recognized personally for being the sole reason the killer was stopped.

The book works so well because of the differences each woman brings to the table. Lindsey works well as a main character because of the other women in her life. Had the book been Lindsey on her own, I don't think it would have been nearly as enjoyable.

1st to Die was a wonderful mystery that didn't hold back. The murders were shocking. The serial killer was targeting couples on their wedding nights. Just the concept alone is upsetting. The frenzied race to find the killer was easily felt and I found myself caught up in the momentum of the book. Once started, I couldn't put it down. I had to know who the killer was and how they would be stopped.

The first book in any mystery series can be hit or miss due to the necessity of laying groundwork and introducing background information. 1st to Die was definitely a hit for me. I honestly can't think of one thing that wasn't perfect in this book. If you haven't started this series yet, you are missing out.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1st to Die.