Janice Williams's Reviews > Tongues of Serpents

Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, alternative-history, literary-fiction
Read in February, 2011

I've read all of the books in the Tameraire series by Naomi Novik and loved each one. Tongues of Serpents, however, was not my favorite. The story seemed to drag on for me, a bit. This book is set in Australia (other books in the series are set in China, Africa, UK). The book set in China was my favorite, so perhaps it is simply because I love books set in China and found the one in Australia less compelling; but I do not think so, as I am very interested in Australia right now.

It just seemed to take a long time for anything to happen, the parts of the story were not as well connected, and I had the feeling that perhaps this book was required writing on the author's part. She is one of my favorite authors, however, so I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt and return to this book in the future, when I will reread the entire series. I may feel differently at that time.

If you've never read Novik's work, start with "Her Majesty's Dragon." It is wonderful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tongues of Serpents.