Jeanna's Reviews > The Adoration of Jenna Fox

F 50x66
Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, ya
Read in January, 2011

Warning: I tried to write this review vaguely enough that it's not very spoiler-y, but it doesn't completely avoid spoilers.

Also, I gave the book 4 stars because I think it took the topic of medical ethics and considered it in an entertaining way. However, in terms of how much I really liked the book, it was more like 3 stars. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I spent a fair portion of the first part of the book thinking, "I hope this doesn't turn out to be as obvious as it seems." The writing was good enough that I kept reading, and I also wanted it to be less obvious than it seemed.

The interesting thing is that, while the situation was very nearly what I thought it was, it kept on unfolding in interesting and unexpected ways. And there were a couple major surprises.

The portrayals of the various relationships were believable and complicated (well, the familial relationships were believable; Ethan, Dane, and Alyss--not so much). And though I disliked Jenna's parents tremendously the whole time, like the story, they kept on unfolding and being discovered in new ways as well.

Some reviewers complained about religious overtones, but quite frankly I think they are waaaaay oversensitive. The debate at hand was far more ethical and scientific than religious, even with Lily (Jenna's Catholic grandmother) on the scene.

The best part about this book was, for me, how the perspectives of the characters and also my perspective shifted several times during the reading. It was more complex than I expected.

(view spoiler)

The worst part? Her relationship with Ethan just wasn't particularly believable for me. I guess I'm just bored with teenagers who fall so quickly into these really deep, emotionally intimate relationships. Really? Teenagers? Not convinced. Also, worse than that, was Dane. Ummm... loose end, anyone? But neither of these issues was enough to destroy the book for me, they were just minor annoyances.

Rating: PG-ish, although there may have been more swearing than I remember.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adoration of Jenna Fox.