Shannon's Reviews > The House of Mirth

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Dec 29, 2007

bookshelves: best-books-ever

This book has inspired my next tattoo. That is some fine literature. (And I am sure that if Edith Wharton were alive today, she would appreciate the tribute.)

I have this theory that the mark of great literature is that no matter how many times you read it, you can always plausibly hope, as a reader, that things might turn out differently in the end. Not that the actual ending is wrong; it's just that the character of Lily Bart is so alive for me, I seriously believe she might make a different choice and pull things out in the end.

Also, it has a really good moral, which is: make your own damn money. Um, not that I am judging Lily Bart or anything. Different times and all!

Note to self: Should not review great works of literature after so much beer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Mirth.

02/29 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

message 1: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Benson I like that this book has inspired your next tattoo. To appreciate literature through ink. I wish more tattoos were inspired this way. I have never read this book, but your review has inspired me to add it to my 'to read' list. Thank you

Jenifer So what was the tattoo?

Sarah Beth What does that tattoo look like?

Rose B. I sort of hold something against Lily Bart for being afraid of "making her own damn money", but things were different back in the late 19th century when appearances, beauty, & social conventionalism meant everything to a woman raised in a glamorous, rich, worry-free life style. It's easy for us working class women to say & do than it would ever be for a woman raised in opulence & luxury. That being said, I'm grateful my life hasn't been the easiest & never before had I felt so blessed to have faced obstacles in life that made the strong, independent, hard working woman I am today.

So, what is your tatoo?