Kornela's Reviews > Hotel du Lac

Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner

1262041
Jul 19, 10

Read from July 17 to 19, 2010

Edith Hope has made a fool of herself over love. In hopes that she gets over it, her friends ship her off for a little R&R to the Hotel du Lac in Switzerland. Edith is resigned to go and maybe finish her latest romance novel. While there she meets an interesting cast of characters in the hotel's other guests. Observing the other guests and learning about their lives and motivations helps her make an important decision about her own life.
This won the 1984 Booker Prize, but it was my least favorite Booker winner so far. It was quite pleasant, the writing was good, but the story was thin and slow and instantly forgettable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel du Lac.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I read "The Sea" by John Banville (another Man Booker winner) and it was thin and painfully slow. Maybe that's the type of book the Booker judges really go for.

Kornela You may be on to something there. You are not the first person to tell me that The Sea wasn't too great. I think I will skip that one. It's just disappointing because I have read some very good Booker winners in the past (and one of them, Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, turned out to be an all-time favorite)so I was expecting more from this. Ah well...will try some others eventually.