Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Outside In

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

After a brilliant and very useful recap of Inside Out, this only got better. It found it's footing immediately and ran like the wind to the closing lines.

It was so jam-packed with action, betrayals and trickery I was exhausted just reading it. It wasn't simple either. I'm impressed Snyder could fit so much in (including technical detail) and I could still follow her throughout. Something I couldn't do with the first book.

I never knew who to trust. That seems to be a real theme that Snyder just loves to play with. I don't know how Trella managed what with getting injured, drugged or knocked out every five minutes and having to deal with the difficult relationships with her mother and her boyfriend. Time was a real factor, she never had enough of it but she somehow triumphed more often than not.

There was very little skimming this time around. Snyder was economical with words yet she still managed to fill many, many pages, more than I expected and I never got bored. Unusual for me with YA. The only real downside was no sexually explicit content even when it would've made sense with what should've been a very steamy shower scene, dammit! F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-N-G.

Talking of frustration, Trella's stubborn reluctance in taking on the responsibility of leadership and leaving it to others -ugh! I was so desperate to reach into the book and throttle her and take the reins myself. Everything was falling apart and she was doing NOTHING! It was all her fault. Maybe not but she could've prevented some things or at least coordinated responses to them more efficiently. I'm so glad she learned from her mistakes.

Anyway, things were all nicely wrapped up. Perhaps a little too quickly (I wanted to know what crimes the Outsiders committed to be kicked out of Inside) but by then I was tired and just wanted to put the book down to catch my breath so I didn't care too much. I'm guessing this is a duology, I could be wrong but it ended perfectly so I'm not expecting another instalment. Oh, and I'm assuming Trella got the top spot at the end, in more ways than one. Wink, wink.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside In.

01/04/2011
24.0% ""Nothing says you care for me better than offering to torture my enemies." He grinned. "No sense doing things halfhearted. And to think, some girls have to endure listening to poetry." "Poor things." - Here, here! Lol"
01/04/2011
25.0% "'Grabbing the soap, I worked it into a frothy lather. I explored the hard ridges of his stomach, the smooth lines of his back and his nice grabable butt...' - Girl, I know you're still a virgin but I think you missed something that should be pretty big and obvious. Wink, wink. This is what I hate about YA. Grumble, grumble." 2 comments
01/04/2011
66.0% "Oh please tell me who I'm supposed to trust?! I'm as confused as Trella and I'm tired of being tricked. Is anyone honest anymore? I'm losing faith here. Can I even trust Riley?"
01/04/2011
66.0% ""(...) A big...huge mistake and I paid dearly for it. That's why I don't want to be in charge. What if I make another wrong decision?" "Then we'll deal with it (...)" "Are you sure? I've made some doozies." - Have you ever? Finally is all I can say. At least she's making progress."
01/04/2011
100.0% "'Except I think I had my way with him.' -The closest we got to a description of sex. Sounds like she rode him into the ground! Fits her personality even if it was her first time!"

message 1: by AH (new)

AH Great review, Amy. I have been hesitant to read any more Maria Snyder after Magic Study. Maybe I'll give this one a try.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Thanks AH! Did you read Fire Study? You might want to read Inside Out or at least skim it before reading this because even though the recap is detailed it doesn't cover everything. :)

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim I should give these books a try soon, they seem good. Loved the review!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Kim, have you read Stolen: A letter to my captor? It's a similar concept to Living Dead Girl but without the violence. It's brilliant and I highly recommend it!

message 6: by AH (new)

AH Haven't read Fire Study. It's sitting in a pile mocking me daily. I can't bring myself to read it because I was annoyed with Magic Study.

message 7: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Jan 06, 2011 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} AH wrote: "Haven't read Fire Study. It's sitting in a pile mocking me daily. I can't bring myself to read it because I was annoyed with Magic Study."

Out of all three, it (Fire Study) was the worst. Poison Study was the best.