Matthew's Reviews > Fell, Volume 1: Feral City

1975413
Jul 20, 10

bookshelves: crime-thriller, graphic-novels
Read from July 17 to 20, 2010

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Up till now, I've only read Ellis's superhero stuff and really hadn't been all that impressed. Fell, however, seems to be a story he really wants, maybe even needs, to tell.

The basic plot is that Fell, a homicide detective, screws up somehow and gets sent from his downtown district over the bridge and into Snowtown, the worst area of the unnamed city where he works. Each chapter focuses on a single case and they range from random beatings to "floaters" (bodies found in the river) to a crazy man who keeps his adopted daughter sick so he can have his way with the her whenever he wants. Each chapter also gives us glimpses into Fell's past and we see glimmers of him rebuilding his life through a friendship with a woman bar owner. Very dark, very gritty and not for anyone with a weak stomach----Templesmith's brilliantly expressive artwork is every bit as disturbing and telling as Ellis's story. A truly perfect match. I'll be on the lookout for volume 2, because this is definitely a title I want to see as it moves forward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fell, Volume 1.