Sandra's Reviews > Dead Girls Don't Write Letters

F 50x66
Jul 17, 2010

it was ok
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** After re-reading the book with more time and focus, I found myself feeling like this was a "forgetable" book. I still found the character of Sunny very flat for a protagonist and I like reading novels that are geatly character driven. Sunny didn't seem to drive the novel for me. Actually non-Jazz seemed to drive the story more for me.

About believing in non-Jazz, I find myself on the fence. I don't want to believe that Sunny went crazy, however that would be a logical reaction to losing a sister to a tragic fire. I also don't want to believe that there could be people in the world that need to pretend to be someone else in order to feel loved. During those moments that I believed non-Jazz was actually there, I felt bad for her. And Giles made non-Jazz believeable because those children who find themselves in foster homes are all just looking to be loved. So even after a second read, I cannot make a decision either way about non-Jazz.

I think this book is going to go into a reluctant reader's shelf. After hearing in class that the author, Giles was once a SpEd teacher, I realized why the characters were kind of flat and the book was very simplistic. I teach SpEd kids and believe me I could find a lot of students who would read this book because it is easy to read. So although this look was not one of my favorites, it could have a lot of appeal for many of the students who come into a library. Its easy to understand, easy to read, suspenseful, and on the shorter side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Girls Don't Write Letters.