Blodeuedd Finland's Reviews > The White Queen

1962503
Jul 17, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from July 17 to 20, 2010

I might have read a Philippa Gregory book way back, before the Tudor books, so I was very curious how she wrote when I started this one. And I liked what I read. I read a book about the War of the Roses not so long ago, but this story can sure be told again.

It's about the sometimes oh so confusing War of the Roses. Lancaster about York, cousin against cousin, brother against brother. Elizabeth Woodville was a young Lancaster supporting widow who asked the new York king to help her get back the land for her two sons. They married, and the story begin with her living it. Edward IV trying to hold his throne, Warwick resenting her, Henry VI trying to take his throne back, trouble with his brother George, and all those Lancaster and York supporters changing sides and rooting for new supporters.

This book made me google, a lot. A really interesting historical novel always makes me to that, I want to have a look at everyone involved, see what happened before, and what will happen. One thing I was happy about to see was the family tree in the beginning, because that was needed so see where the Lancaster house and The house of York really fought for, and of course to see where the house of Tudor started.

I came to like Elizabeth through this book, and she really loved her husband, even though he had bedded half the women in England, but he still loved her like crazy. And I liked him even if he slept around.

But there were some aspects that were a bit, I mean I had nothing against it, but felt it didn't have to be there. The house of Burgundy claimed that they were descendants from Melusina, this half woman, fish being that lives in lakes. There was magic in the women of the family. I am glad that she never said that it was magic; instead she just made Jaquetta and Elizabeth witches who thought they managed to make some things happen. Just because Jaquetta was accused of being a witch doesn't make her one. The best way to discredit a king is to call him a bastard, his wife a witch, and more. The reason why they surely married in the first place was lust, cos yes he got around. But in the end, I didn't mind really. Let them think they have powers.

She also took up the subject of Perkin Warbeck, and made him truly be Duke Richard, one of the princes of the tower. Interesting take on an age old question, but no, I to think they both were killed, one way or another. Who killed them is another matter.

Last is just a personal thing, Elizabeth of York was rather silly in the end. Come on, falling in love with her uncle, Richard III, gross. And he had killed her uncle, her half brother, and more. He might have killed her younger brothers. He stole the throne, and she liked him? Well at least she did in this book, the truth we will never know. But anyway, I did not care of her in this book.

A good book about the War of the Roses, and of one fascinating woman. I hope the Red Queen is equally good as this one.

Blodeuedd's Cover Corner: very pretty.

Reason for reading: From Simon & Schuster

Final thoughts: She brings to life an era filled with war and backstabbing brothers. It's not an pretty era, but it is sure interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Queen.

03/15 marked as: read

Caroline The HEA Lover I'm very curious about this book. I'll keep my eyes open for your thoughts on it

Blodeuedd Finland I'll hopefully have a review next week :) I am trying for Monday (eeek) since I am going away on a mini-trip to a friend. But so far so good

Caroline The HEA Lover woot that's good to hear!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I have read other books by this author, I like what she writes about but her writing is SO dry. I got bored reading her books had to put it down for awhile.

Blodeuedd Finland Dry, really, fun to see how different some look at books :) But yes I might see where it could be dry

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I do like reading about that time but it feels like she drags on a bit when she writes at times. Yeah we're all different I guess. I like her books, might read them in the future but not right now

Blodeuedd Finland I really should try her Tudor books and see how those are, I mean just cos I liked this one doesn't mean I will like the rest. And it sure helped that I found the War if the roses fascinating

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I read the other Boleyn girl which was rather dry but I haven't read her other stuff since that one took awhile to read because it was boring. It was good but because she drags on parts, it made me not want to read her other stuff.

Blodeuedd Finland Hm, I guess one really has to be interested in history then, ocs if so then I do not mind dragging ;)

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I do like history but parts were just too drawn out, if I were to have written it I would have made it shorter and less talking. It seemed like she was trying to fill the rest of the pages in because she didn't want to make the book 100 pages so she added stuff that didn't need to be said.

Blodeuedd Finland Authors do tend to do that, I have read so many 500 page books that I have wanted to scream at cos most was just nothing really

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Yeah I think it's just dumb. That's why I got annoyed with her writing style. But hey that's just my opinion on that book.

Blodeuedd Finland I liked it cos of the war of the roses, so could like the style..but then I read another book that I felt dragged out so yes for me it really helped that I liked the period

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I like reading about that period too, I've read other books on various periods as well. Some writers are good with their descriptions others just seem like they need fillers.

Blodeuedd Finland I read this book by Susan Higginbotham and that one I really liked