Wanda's Reviews > U is for Undertow

U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton

Jul 17, 10

Normally I enjoy the Grafton series as fluffy beach reads. The suspense has kept me reading in the past and have found Kinsey Millhone to be an interesting character, with her reminiscences of former boyfriends, wonderfully paternal landlord and charmingly intrusive Hungarian restaurant owner friend. But I found this one to be a disappointment. I found myself skipping parts, which I don't normally do with Sue Grafton's books. The parts on the history of the area were not an improvement and I did not think they added to the story – I think they were just filler. The basic storyline could have been interesting, but this book just didn't hold my interest because there was no suspense. How could there be when for goodness sakes the mystery is solved a third of the way into the book. I usually enjoy the convention of shifting from past to present and into and out of multiple points of view, but I confess that I began to get a bit confused with all of the characters and where they were and what they did when they said and did it. Argghh.
The Creed and Destiny characters were the only ones that I thought were pretty well drawn. I wanted to throttle their smug selves, and that impulse in and of itself indicated to me that Grafton did a good job of developing these twits. On the whole however, I have to confess that I had to force myself to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read U is for Undertow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Merry (new)

Merry Since this is "U", I am curious have you read the ones before this? Are you reading them in order?

Wanda Hi Merry,
Yes, I've read all of Grafton. But I have not read them in order. My sense is that she is not necessarily getting better. I think she's pooped out - and after all this time I can imagine why. How can you keep a character fresh through the whole alphabet??

message 3: by Empress5150 (new)

Empress5150 I find it really interesting that Kinsey is still in the 1980s (or at least she was in "S"). Maybe Grafton should add some weird unrealistic twist to the next one whereby Kinsey ends up in 2010. Now, writing about her dealing with technology in this day and age would be a challenge for Grafton and would make for a fun read for all of us, even if there was no mystery to solve!

message 4: by Empress5150 (new)

Empress5150 PS I usually listen to these in the car. I sort of nodded off during "S"; not a good thing :-)

Wanda I got through 3/4 of S and send it back to Recorded Books! Also not a good thing.

message 6: by Merry (last edited Jul 20, 2010 11:38AM) (new)

Merry Wanda wrote: "Hi Merry,

Yawn yawn, yes the alphabet was a big risk! Some were good, some not so good :)

Clare I enjoy this series for the look at life in California but in this book - what was the point of the dog? It didn't seem realistic/necessary.... several of the loose ends were never wrapped up and the personal history was a bit forced. Overall a bit disappointing compared to some of the earlier ones.