Words's Reviews > The Laughing Corpse

The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jan 14, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: paranormal-urban-fantasy

There was something about Hamilton's first, then second book that irritated the hell out of me, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then one day I saw a picture of her on the book and I understood what it was. It annoys me when authors make themselves the hero/ine of their books, and then just change the name and the environment to make it fantasy fiction. But even more so when you must keep reading about how powerful, and how unconsciously sexy, and how tough that character is (*why* is she trying to prove how gutsy she is to other male officers..by playing around with a dead baby's body parts?). What flaws she does have are laughable - like I care that she *almost* gave in to Jean the vampire's advances despite her no-sex-til-marriage vow.

Maybe subsequent books get better.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Laughing Corpse.

04/14/2014 marked as: read

James Girl, tell me about it! I made it through the first book and was like, "Um, really. She it ended like this?" Almost as anti-climactic as the death of Sirius Black in Harry Potter. However, the books have interesting premises; unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get past the Anita factor to enjoy some of them. Keep an eye out for the voodoo priestess in South City. I kinda enjoyed that novel. Then again, you might want to quit while you're ahead. They go downhill into sex and lameness more than you can imagine about seven books in (if I remember correctly). The term, by the way for a character like Anita's is a Mary Sue or a Harry Sue or something for men. For some reason Anita always seems to save the day, muster incredible power, and befriend some of the most influential figures within a city, despite the fact that she contends with beings that are older than time and blah, blah, blah. Though, if you want some good bubble gum wish fulfillment reading, she's your lady. It is a guilty pleasure sometimes for me (see me being clever there--*fnur*).

message 2: by Tobi (new)

Tobi Obaro It's Gary Stu, when it's a guy.

Terra i dont mind fantasy type reads, this author is one i struggle with. i dont believe i will continue series past book 2. maybe a "rainy" day when i have nothing else. ..just sayin. hard to say at this point.