Maria (Ri)'s Reviews > Seven Before Seventy: One Woman's Quest for the Seven Continents

Seven Before Seventy by Joyce Brooks

Jul 20, 10

bookshelves: travel, read-in-2010, released-in-a-book-box
Read from July 17 to 19, 2010

While I quite enjoyed the author's other book, Around the World in the Middle Seat, this one was quite a disappointment. I found myself getting very frustrated with the author's attitude and entitlement during her travels in developing nations. Refusing to try foods and celebrating finding a McDonald's seemed a little much for me. Why bother to travel if you are looking for the same as home? Also, she was often a grand fan of the type of travel that doesn't really engage with a culture, but rather just the idea of it - ie staying in a resort that pretty much is like home with some cultural shows thrown in and trinkets to buy as souvenirs. Not to mention that these type of resorts can be devastating to local environment (her favorite place to stay in Bali, the Nusa Dua Beach Resort, is depleting the water table of Bali with the high demand for western flushing toilets and western showers, for example). She seems to do a lot of "travel lite" - visiting a place without actually experiencing the reality of the place, or when she does experience the reality, she develops a distaste and leaves as soon as possible.

She does run package tours herself for others, so perhaps she is looking for a more sterile and marketable travel time, but overall it just left a bad taste in my mouth and reinforced why American tourists have such a bad reputation. Having said all that, there are a few fun moments and I did enjoy reading about her trip to Antarctica.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Before Seventy.